Lava rock with Live rock?

75SW

New Fish
Feb 5, 2005
After I have cycled my new 75 gallon saltwater tank with live rock, is there any reason I can't also put lava a rock in with the live rock as part of my aquascape?

Also, I have crushed coral as a substrate now, is that better/worse that just sand? At this stage I don't want to go the live sand route(read: I'm cheap!) and I think I read somewhere I can use regular sand. If so, what kind?

Thanks!

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well....if you do put lava rock in your tank make sure its safe for fish(safe stuff should come from the LFS). Even then it might not be safe...and it will contain phosphates making algae blooms a problem. I personally find it unnatural and risky and the bad results out weigh the good.

As for sands the Caribsea argonites and fine grade reef sand work fine.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i agree with sam on the rock, i think it is a poor choice to put anything in there but LR (be it aquacultured or otherwise)...you will be fine with crushed coral, its an esthetic issue more than anything else as long as you don't have a DSB. as dbacks points out, your local reef club may be your best resource. most anyone is willing to part with a little LS to kick your crushed coral off

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Don't take this the wrong way, but if your cheap then I don't think saltwater aquarium keeping is for you. This is an expensive hobby and your playing with living creaters lives. If you have not yet done so, I would suggest doing some reading on the hobby first before you go adding live stock into the tank.

What are your plans for the tank and what type of equipment do you have? I am looking into upgrading into a new 75-100gal system shortly myself but i have to save some more $$$ first. Keep us posted how thing are going.

75SW

New Fish
Feb 5, 2005
Thanks for the feedback. I probably should have qualified, I have had saltwater aquariums for about 25 years. I have not , however, embraced the "new" technology! Live rock to me was a "Stones" concert. However, I have decided to dispense with my two smaller tanks and upgrade to a new 75 and in doing this upgrade my skills as well. I'm torn between "what I know" and the new technology. I am inclined to go with what I know but I see the advantage to change and I don't what to screw it up.
Live rock it is!! I will also contact my local reef club for input.
Thanks again. I will you post updates on my adventure.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
sounds good...im relatively new to this (couple years now) so I've only done the "new way" but i have seen LFSs running systmes the "old way" and, frankly, it just doesn't work as well

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Lava rock is a disaster waiting to happen. It's a whole bunch of metal silicate minerals that are decidedly unstable in saltwater, so will just start breaking to release silicates, iron ,and other excellent algae foods post haste. For an experiment I have had a piece of lava rock in a small salt tank along with bits of cleaned live roxk, and I can assure you the algae growth on the lava was just crazy compared to the live rock. So if you want a tank full of diatom films and red algae it's the way to go.

I don't have 25 years experience with salt but I do remember ye olde days of saltwater, UGF's, bleached coral et al. I tend to agree with a quote I saw on 'glass death boxes'.