Leaf scorpionfish on the way!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'll be getting a leaf scorpionfish Taenianotus triacanthus probably sometime next week. So, I'll be setting up a small tank for him/her :D

It will be getting my overpopulations of Endlers livebearers and cherry shrimp. :D

Luckily, I already have some spare cured live rock, a tank, lighting, etc. All I need is some sand and a powerhead.

As it is safe with corals, I'm thinking of moving my sun coral into that tank eventually, and maybe some other non-photosynthetic corals. I don't really want to pay for "reef" lighting, and I think it will be easier to feed the sun coral in there.

I'll post pics soon :D

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
looks kinda like a angler... pretty cool looking fish what made u want it?
Well, the LFS is giving it to us. They haven't sold it, and they ran out of live food for it. It's getting expensive for them feeding it "regular" fish (they don't usually sell feeder fish). I can see how using $15 worth of stock a week on it isn't a good business idea. They told us someone needs to take it.

I've been looking at him for the last few months at the store, and he's pretty cool. I didn't buy him, because I didn't want another tank. But, as it's being offered to us for free, and its fate is uncertain if we don't... I guess a new tank is getting set up :p

He's already trained to eat from a net. I'm hoping I can train him onto krill or other frozen foods, but it might not be possible.

The tank will be set up by the end of the day, and I'm hoping it will be cycled really fast.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The one I'm getting is yellow. :D I read one report where someone got a pink one and it turned yellow.

I think they usually go for around $40 online, maybe $50 to $60 in a LFS. This one has never had a price on the tank, as far as I remember.

I'm gonna put him in a 10g tank, and see how it goes. If I'm having nitrate issues, I guess I'll upgrade. They don't really need a large tank, but because they're predators, the nitrate production can be high.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Here's the guy acclimating:

No skimmer, just a powerhead. We'll see how it goes with algae, water quality, etc. I know that's not ideal, but I really have no idea on how this tank will run in terms of pollution. He's long/tall, but not very wide, so I don't think his bioload will be that much.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Well, I did learn something new yesterday: It takes and Endler about an hour to die in saltwater :eek: He got one Endler straight away, the other (fry) swam around for an hour. After an hour, the fry was clearly in trouble, and drifting quite a bit. Fug just waited for the Endler to drift past, then swallowed him whole.

Today, one cherry landed right by him, and he got it straight away. The other sat around for a while until Fug jumped down off his perch and got it.

He basically waits for them to come to him.