leave it or not

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
for some reason my copperbanded butterfly decided to die on me happened in 1 day everything else is ok he just one day didnt eat and the next day dead....Any ideas maybe why?

Anyway all the crabs are eating on him now, should I yank him out or let nature take its course?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
id say take him out, natures good when it happens in the ocean and the ammonia produced by the dead fish is in how ever many gallons the ocean is, but in your tnak it oculd have bad consequences.

as for reasons why he died, did he show any signs of sickness, are you levels all good? How long have you had him for normally? Did he stop eating or anything?

Sorry you lost him, loosing fish sucks

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
ya know the only thing ive done outta the norm is i ran outta dechlorinator(sp?) so i,ve added six gallons in the last 2 days without dechlor, to a 100g system, everything else corals, fish, inverts seem ok. I know this is a big NO NO, could this have killed my sensitive copperband

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Im not sure how detrimental it was towards the copper band, but I tink it could have bad effects on the overall tank by killing the bacteria. You should really get that copperband out now

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
As you've dissolved god knows how much sodium chloride into your water, and it's now full of chlorine ions, do you really think not using dechlor on a pretty trivial amount of water makes any difference at all? I don't think that's your problem (frankly I do it all the time).

Dropping dead one day is one of the reasons Copperbands are considered difficult. Consider it a mixture of inadequate nutrition, and general erosion of health if your water is any less than perfect, plus stress caused by anything but a few very quiet tankmates.

Anyway, pull it out.