Leaving town and a little concerned

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
My tank (see signature) completed the cycle 2/10. Ammonia and nitrites have been zero with nitrates about 5-7.

2/14 thoroughly syphoned the gravel (since I was holding off on this while cycling) and changed out a cave for a much better size cave for my tank.

2/21 ammonia was .25 with nitrites and nitrates same as before. Did a 20% water change. Probably didn't need to, but noticed poop in the gravel and wanted to syphon some of that out since that may have been causing the spike?

Tonight 2/27, ammonia .25 with still nitrites and nitrates same as before.

Not sure why the ammonia spike and I'm due to leave town for a week this Friday. Could it still be in a mini cycle after heavily syphoning and changing out a cave?

Should I be concerned? Anything I should do before I leave? Thanks for any suggestion/comments.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
how long will you be gone?
if just for a few days nothing
if more than a week then id buy a food pyramid thing to feed the fish...a real small one though. and feed the fish less. like every other day

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
It should be fine. It's got plants and only 2 fish, and it's only been climbing up to .25 after a week (and I suspect it's probably stopping that, since the bacteria should be making a stronger and stronger hold in the tank as it gets more fully established). Just don't change the filter or siphon right before you leave... maybe a water change that day without siphoning.

Mar 24, 2006
Pennsylvania
Since I'm gone during the week on my college campus I had to find a way for my parents to feed my tanks, and I found the best way is to set up one of those seven day pill containers (with separately opening lids). Then one of my parents just has to open for the day and dump in the food - this way there's no over feeding. Though I'm not sure if you will have anyone at home to do this for you or not...but good luck with everything.