LED Hungary!

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i got 10 5mm LED lights probably 460nm or 465nm (blue) it cant be 470nm since its not the same as my other 470nm LEDs. and its 8000mcd.

well i just wired it up on a piece of 1/8" acrylic sheet...maybe i should space them out more... but its not lighting up my whole tank...that suxs

whats a safe range of mcd that fishes can handle? dont want to blind my livestock.

i was thinking about using 10k LED lights (a lot of them) as my main source of light. since my tank is a FOWLR it shouldnt matter right? (coral line is going to slow down but w/e).

is anyone running a LED lighted tank?

random thing
my dads claiming that my 15w light is costing a lot of money...

Last edited:

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i was actually planning to setup a 12,000- 20,000mcd LED system...

but i gotta hold that off for a while when i know i can get the right stuff.
i barely know anything about the LEDs. like the much needed resistors...

do you realize how much its going to cost to build your own LED lighting system? in order to get enough lights to cover the whole tank, because the light out-put angle on most LED's is so narrow, we're talking hundreds of 1 watt LED's just to cover a 10 gal tank...Unless you have the money to spend on wide angle 3-5 watt LED's, but when buying those you also have to buy the special mounting/ heat sink bases, which basically doubles maybe even triples what it'll cost you out of pocket, then you have to figure in the circuitry....so in that case you might as well look at getting one of these https://www.pfolighting.com/solaris-buy-now.aspx

Last edited:

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
lol how did that A get in there =p

it was interesting to see people use 200 5mm LED lights to grow coral. with success too. since its only 5mm. the Lux lvl (over 10,000) is only great at 10" max. (rivals MHs)

going to see if i can find some 1w LEDs.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
the light angle of the 5mm LEDs are commonly around 20-25 degrees.
thats more then enough since the low output of these lights you'll have to place then about 1 inch apart. iv seen ones that are about 1/2" part so far. looks like metal halides in a 5g tank lol.

dont be suprised when someone makes a hood completely out of cheap LEDs. (with casing)