led lighting vs t5

tuck

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2009
longford, ireland
does anyone know or have any experiance with these new led lights. the ones im looking at are k2 brillance lights with vho. how do these compare to the t5 lights. the tank i have is 4ft long by 2ft deep. i would like to keep some soft corals at some point. also i want to incorporate the lights into the hood of the tank.

what would you chose. taking in to consideration running cost light output and purchase price..

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I decided to go with T5 HO a while back. My main problem with the LEDs was that while they save electricity and have a longer life, I read some posts about problems with the units burning out.

At the time, I was considering a Solaris system (now out of business) that would have cost around $3,500. I would have been happy to pay that if I hadn't read so many complaints about sections burning out. If I'm spending that kind of money, I really want a reliable product.

I'm not sure how the newer systems will pan out. I saw some at an exhibition a week ago, and they looked awesome. However, I still have doubts about the longevity of new products, and also about the warranties from some of the smaller companies.

I went with a Tek T5, and when a ballast blew, we got it replaced (at no charge) within a week.

My advice on lighting, if you're planning to spend a good amount of money, is to go with a reputable brand with a warranty and buy from a vendor that will give you real customer service. Buying the cheap brand usually results in buying another fixture 12 months later.

tuck

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2009
longford, ireland
well ill keep my fingers crossed then as i have just ordered some nice led lights for my tank. A all super bright white marine, also an ocean super bright mixed white and blue, and a moon light section.. i hope i have no problems... im a electrician by trade and i do have trust and faith in these new leds.. lets hope im right...

thanks for your advice

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Who did you order from and do you have a link to them? I would like to do some reasearch on them. At some point I plan on getting a bigger tank and LEDs are the way I want to go, depending on the price and quality of the lights.

tuck

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2009
longford, ireland
well my led`s have finally arrived. and i am very pleased with them.. they are very bright in fact maybe too bright... yes you can link them if you want..
they come in tubes and look like norm flourescent tubes but with leds in. they all link down to a digital programable dimmer control unit. so you can add more if you wish..
the only prob i have is that the moonlight tube is very bright and im wondering if this will pose a problem.. should i dim it down.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i know of a few people from my local reef club that tried the solaris and didnt last a few months before switching.... wernt getting the color or growth they wanted..... definitly give us a link tho, id like to see what you got (how much $? )

tuck

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2009
longford, ireland
i got these lights of the web, but spoke over the phone to the supplier as well. they did advise me that they will support the growth of corals, but they would say that.....

the web address is aquariumledlighting.co.uk
they supply all types of aquarium lights. the ones i went for are the k2 brillance. it does state that they are over 10,000 kelvins.
let me know if you have alook what you think of theses lights, i really hope i dont have to purchase different ones

tuck

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2009
longford, ireland
yea they seem fairly bright. and im just in the process of ordering another light from them to compliament the ones already in.
they call it blue lagoon. a mixture of blue and green leds. not for light benifit but more for effect and hopefully it will have positive effects on life in the tank giving a more natural feel.