Leopard Bush Fish

Fruitbat

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2004
Garland, TX
Visit site
For those anabantoid enthusiasts among you, I present the Leopard Bush Fish, Ctenopoma acutirostre. This is an African anabantoid that will eventually reach between 6-8 inches (this one is about 2 inches long). Unlike their gourami and betta relatives, these fish have a BIG mouth and are serious carnivores. Notice the hungry look in the eyes!

Better pics to come later...I just got these today and they're a bit shy right now. (I picked up 3 of them.)

Fruitbat

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2004
Garland, TX
Visit site
Fortunately the Ctenopoma species aren't all that difficult to feed. They'll take frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp and things like Hikari carnivore sticks, freeze-dried plankton, and shrimp pellets.

They can be a bit 'testy' with other Ctenopoma on occasion but they tend to set up territories and stay there. They are ambush hunters so they don't wander far from home base. With larger fish they have a tendency to be downright shy!

Fruitbat

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2004
Garland, TX
Visit site
They prefer soft, slightly acid water but, like their Asian bretheren, are not at all demanding of water parameters. I've even seen one foolhardy soul keep them in an aquarium set up for African Rift Lake cichlids with a pH of about 9 and hardness through the roof! Of course, the poor Ctenopoma didn't look at all happy and I let the fellow know the error of his ways.

May 11, 2003
Canada
AWESOME FISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

How much $$$ ?

Will you be eventually feeding them guppies when they get to 6 inches.....

One species of anabantoid that I'm really into is the Pikehead Gourami....