Lethrinops Lethrinus Breeding Info

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
Hey, I diddnt know if this should be posted here or in Breeding. I figured I'd have the best answer here. I bought some lethrinops lethrinus fry about 3 months ago. They are all getting pretty big now, really a nice looking fish even though its not yet fully colored up. I have some questions about their breeding, even though I dont think im close to that yet. I have seached the net, not really able to find any good info on these fish. I just want to know how long it takes them to sexually mature? when do they get their adult colors? and when should i expect to see pairs forming?? if at all. Any other info on these fish would be very helpful and appreciated. Like I said, I haven't been able to find much. Anybody with experience keeping/breeding these fish is welcome/encouraged to post their experiences. Thanks

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Not kept them, but I will share what I know. For sexual maturity, I would say it's possible for them to become mature as the adult colors start showing. They probably won't have much if any luck with eggs, as it seems most mouth brooders can take a few batches before they get the hang of it. I couldn't find specifically how long they take to mature, but my best guess is a little over half the adult size they might be getting close. Also most mouth brooders don't really form lasting pairs, but temporary bonds to breed and then they move on.

Sorry, a lot of this is more general mouth brooder info, I'm not sure how much is 100% for a Lethrinops, but I thought I'd try :)