Lets talk clownfish for a second...

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
OK so my 15gal nano is cycled and my cleanup crew has been in there for 1-2 weeks already. I'd like to start looking into getting some fish. Clowns.

Would i be able to get 2 or just 1. I'd like 2, but i will be buying them young so chances are i will not be getting a garunteed pair...problem?

Any food recomendations for clowns?

Any other suggestions, comments, etc are welcome.

EDIT: Oh and i'd like to get true Percs but not sure if i can find them...any other choices?

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
if you cannot find percs you can get ocellaris...they are similar in appearance and stay small...another option (which i love btw) is the black percula...very cool color variation. those are about the only 3 types of clowns you could put in a 15. if you get two young ones they should be fine

food: the usual, a combination of flake and frozen

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I decided on clownfish too, when I'm positive I'm fully cycled. I've always wanted a clownfish... for a while, I was going to let Nemo ruin it for me cause I didn't want to look like some idiot starting a marine tank because of the movie, but i got over it.

Can't wait to see the pics when you get them!

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I have all three sets of clowns in my tanks, the onyx ones are sweet, I have the true percs in my 40 and ocellaris in the 90 gallon you can see pics of everyone except the ocellaris(dont have pics yet) in this thread http://myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25222&page=3&pp=15

not garunteed they will pair off but you have a decent chance if you get them small, needless to say that is all the fish i would put in a 15 gallon

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I got some! :D So excited. I got 2 great looking ocellaris. I had the choice of the black ones, but they were a bit smaller and i felt i needed a little bright color in the tank so i took the orange. Hey the black gives me another excuse to setup another tank right ;) *eyes the empty 29gal...* They are about 1.5" each. The blacks in store were about .5". One is already a bit bigger and they seem to get along fine so far....no telling once territory is established. We'll see.

I got some general New Life Spectrum pellets, which the LFS feeds.

Great looking tank, coral, fish, and bunny aresgod ;)

Needless to say i am PUMPED right now, (first SW fish purchase...ouch *crazysmil ) so pics will come when they have settled in and i have pulled myself away from the tank long enough to grab the cam.

Last edited:

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
they are great, lots of personality and will eat just about anything, are you going to try to get them to host in anything? its a much better over all experience to see them swimming in and out of things, I havent had too much luck getting them to take to anemones(only the onyx took and it was to a large GBTA). but the true percs took to the hammer and the ocellaris took to a frogspawn so.... you might just try to get a decent sized hammer for frogspawn and have that and the clowns be the center piece of your tank... and if they dont take just keep switching out corals till they find one they like. and yea start digging deep in your pockets SW gets expensive...welcome to the dark side....man i have been making too many star wars refrences lately.

JEP

Small Fish
Mar 22, 2005
Elgin, IL
I have 2 small perculas about the size of yours cichlid-man. Mine won't eat pellets though, they'll spit them out. They also won't eat mysis if it is too big, they'll look then swim on and only eat busted up pieces, other than that they are easy to feed. I got them from the same tank at the store and now they are inseparable. I want to get them a host too, they try to host in the corner at night with a small conch shell I have in there and sometimes with the filter tube. lol

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
Cichlid-Man said:
I'm starting to love the darkside....now gotta get a job ;)
I've had my tank since March last year--over the summer, i should have gotten a job, but instead i did yardwork in the grueling sun for $$$--it is now over a year later and my tank is being stocked with expensive stuff and i still don't have a job (at 17--imagine that) :)