Leveling a Tank

sdivell

Medium Fish
Jul 20, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
My first Noob question.

I set up my tank last night, filled it with water and gravel, etc. and i have noticed the tank is leaning to port quit a bit. I live in an apartment and its carpeted everywhere and i think its just a fact that the underpadding isnt as dense under the 2 left legs.

anyone have some tricks to make the tank level so i dont bust any seems?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
You could try moving it a bit to the right or left of where it is to see if things even themselves out. That would be the easiest fix. If you have it against a wall on the side that is up higher, try pulling it away from the wall a few inches...

Depending on the type of stand (you said legs so I'm guessing its one of the metal ones with 4 legs?) I usually use something to wedge under the stand like folded cardboard. You need to tip the tank back to put the wedge under it and have a good amount of water in it to test weight and see the level, so please be careful...I usually make it a two person job lol I think under my 29 I have sturdy pieces of cardboard folded several times. It will compact under the weight, so just make sure to make the piece big enough that the leg won't slip off.

The other option that I have used like under my 55 downstairs that has a big ol wood stand, I have 2 pieces of wood trim that are like 6 inches long, underneath the front edge of the tank since it was leaning forward quite a bit.

I can get pictures of the 29 tonight if you want an illustration?

sdivell

Medium Fish
Jul 20, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
thanks i'll try the cardboard idea.. i still have the box from the tank.
The stand isnt a metal stand its a wood one, with a cupboard. but on the bottom are 4 small plastic feet/legs.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hmm interesting. I dont think I've ever seen a stand like that. Well if that's the case then you won't have to worry about what the cardboard looks like :) Thats my main concern usually with leveling a metal stand like is on my 29...it looks silly. The wood stand under my 55 you can't tell it has something under the front of it because its buried in my carpet :D

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Another suitable alternative to the cardboard is folded-up aluminum foil.
It's probably not the most economical solution, but it really does work once you fold it into thick enough strips. Because of it's slick surface, it can be pushed under a weighted tank stand with relative ease (just lift slightly on the stand as you do this). Plus, it has the advantage of not falling apart if water gets on it. I used this method on my 55 gal., 38 gal., and 20 gal. tanks.

BV

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
yep big disadvantage to cardboard :D Just don't get it wet! (I have never gotten mine wet to the point that I had to replace it though..) But it was the only thing that I had around that had enough bulk to level something without using a whole roll of tin foil ;) I hadn't thought of tin foil though heh

I mean technically you could use almost anything...roofing shimmies, a couple pieces of sheet metal? Sometimes with carpet if you just put something underneath to keep it from sinking into the carpet as much it makes all the difference in the world. And the whole thing about moving it away from the wall since there's that strip of tacking under the carpet along the wall usually.

sdivell

Medium Fish
Jul 20, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
thanks guys... i'll try the cardboard on the stand legs... i'll let u guys know how it works...

its not the tack strip.. the tack strip is along the back of the tank and its the whole right side thats high.