Light mixing help

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
Since Actinic 03 are 420nm (correct me if im wrong on anything)
along with a 6500k light it would make like what? 12k?

would the light look better when a
royal blue (455nm) light with a 6500k light

then a
Blue (470nm) light with a 6500k light?

iv used a 20000k light with a 1w 470nm bulb and what i found out was that they dont mix very easily. and makes the blue more purple.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Bear in mind that
1. What for example AquaMedic sell as 10K, 20K, actinic are possibly very different in appearance, contnet, from what CoralVue for example sell as those colours. Thats as true for PC , or T5, as it is for MH. (Actually PC is more consistent as so few people really make bulbs)
2. Te amount/intentsity of light ouput by actinics compared to say 6500's is so much lowerr reliably mixing is near impossible, plus they age so quickly that in a months time it might workbetter, the same , worse.

The only real way to go is experimentation, and looking at running setups

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
My 10k XM MH lights really get drowned out my super actinic vhos.
yeah i heard about that. but whats the watts on the MH? and the VHOs?
my LFS has 2 i think 160w VHOs on one side with 2 250ws and that gives the SPS looking great.

im going to try to mix the 6500k with 10 blue leds. since the angle of light is soo small (20 degrees about) i have to space them out carefully.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i connected the 10 blue LEDs 460nm i think.

i spaced them out on a piece of 1/8" acrylic. and just the LED alone looks great. covers just about everything. but i noticed that when i place the 6500k light over it, it looks clearer. i'll upload pics when i get the time...im soo tired...played tennis with a friend for 4 hours straight all out....

planning to add more LEDs and better light.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
Here is my somewat completed project for now. Its on my 3g nano.

Heres wat that look like. yeah theres only 10 right now.

Heres what it looks like with just the LEDs on.

Heres PC light without the LEDs

Heres PC with the LEDs

the surface of the live rock has a blueish/purpulish color. and the water looks a lot clearer.