light time / heat

bonsai411

Small Fish
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
I have a 90 Gal. tank housing fish, inverts, corals, live rock. I use 2/175 watts metal halides (13k), and 2/96 watts compact fluorescents (blue).

How long should I keep the MH on for? And, how long should I keep the CF's on for?

Also, I notice, the water temperature goes up to 80.5 F after a few hours witht eh halides on. This is almost a 3 degree rise from my normal 77.7 - 78 degree average without light. Is this okay?

Mike

Nutfarm

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2004
Oregon
go4fun.org
A 3 degree change is nothing differant than what the fish will find in nature. It shouldn't be a problem.

As for how long to leave your lights on, definatelly no more than 12 hrs total. As a personal preferance, my blues turn on an hour before, and off an hour after, my Metal Hals. Total daylight time in my tank is 12 hrs.

This hobby is about mimicking nature. Do that as best you can and you'll have happy fish.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Lets see...you can use two timers, one for the halides and the other for the fluorescents. Turn the fluorescents on 2 hours prior to the halides. When the halides come on keep them on only for 6-8 hours. After they are off keepthe fluorescents on another 2-4 hours.

Temperature flucuations are usually normal in the aquarium. However too big or fast a flucuation can cause major problems. I would not worry to much the rise, but a chiller, or even fans blowing across the water can help.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
fans will speed up evaporation, unfortunately...i think 80.5 is well within acceptable norms; dont stress on it.

i run my 10000k 11hrs a day and my actinics 14...1.5hrs before and after white

Sep 13, 2003
london
Visit site
i turn on my blues when i get up
turn on whites befor go to work
turn of whites when i get home (leaving blues on)
the turn blues off b4 i go to bed

i hope these fish appreciate all the stress and running around we do for them!!!