light too bright?

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
How can I tell if the bulb I have its too bright for me fish? And plants?
I have a 6700k power compact sitting 1.5" up off the top of the tank. I got the fixture from a friend, and bought the smaller of the bulbs that I could find and still afford. I know my plants are low-light (amazon sword and anubis. Not sure I remember where the one java fern leaf stands on the spectrum. Will this be too much for them? Should I get some floating plants to diffuse the light?
Now that I'm watching the fish for a few minutes, they seem ok with it. I also replaced a broken heater this shipment, so they are much happier with the warmer temps and swimming around quite a bit more...
Also, just counted about 12 pleco fry, out of which about half are albino. Anyone local and want some? Lol!

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I believe that the 6700k is a measure of the frequency of the light and not the power. If i am correct the frequency tells about the color saturation of the light , reds to blues. I like the bulbs in the 6500k range, brite white or natural.
I think the power is reflected in the lumen output of a bulb and that is expressed as the wattage of the bulb or it's equivalent. So you can get a compact fluorescent in the 6500k range in various replacement wattages. There are some physically smaller CFL bulbs available that fit into the sockets for incandescent well.
One note, I have found that the CFL type bulbs are sensitive to moisture when used in an aquarium hood. i solved this bty making sure there is some sort of barrier between the water and the bulbs. Many current hoods have the area where a bulb goes already sealed.

Feb 27, 2009
To answer your questions about if the light is too bright, its more about the watts being put out rather than the K rating of the bulb. I use bulbs over my planted tanks between 6000K and 9700K. Any bulb in that range works well. Above and below are ok, but in my experience, don't grow plants as well.

What watts is the bulb you are using, and is it one of your 29gallon tanks?

The three plants you mentioned TOLORATE low light, but will grow just fine under higher light. The only one that gets a little picky is some of the Anubias sp. of plants. Those need to be shaded by taller plants if high light is being used.

If higher light is used, be sure to increase the availability of carbon and other ferts to prevent unwanted algae.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
Thanks. I will look up the wattage on the bulb.
Slate spider, new england is a small cluster out states in the northeast corner of the us. Maine, vt, nh, ma, ri, ct. ;)
I don't feel confident shopping them, which is why I was looking for locals. I'm afraid they will freeze to death id I try to ship them.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
No plecos for you!! xD you don't have room!!

If they freeze to death them you'll have a frozen fishsicle for a cat. xD ma kitties don't mess with my fish. Only ship a pleco fry (albino) to me and I'll pay you if it dies. xP

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
If you don't have the hamsters yet, why do you have to get them?? In another 6 - 8 weeks the fry will be ready to have babies. Yeah! And how many friends to you have who are equipped to have fish? I have found a lot of people don't want to be bothered with the upkeep.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I don't know if I am a hamster person or not - but I wouldn't have one because I am a cat and dog person and if one got loose it would be hard to assure its safety. You have no idea the shambles our house became when a chipmunk got in the house. Both dogs and the cat took the project on with disastrous results - and I don't mean for the chipmunk! Besides you apparently are having a - shall I say - difficult time caring for your fish and between that and exercising and cleaning a hamster cage I am thinking you will have your hands full.

Feb 27, 2009
It will be very hard to clean a hampster cage that is 21inches deep unless its kept at a low level. On a standard fish tank stand, it was hard to reach the bottom for me, even with a stool to stand on.

Feb 27, 2009
It's not height you need to worry about, but length from armpit to your hand. I could reach the bottom of the tank on the edges, but could not reach the bottom center of the tank.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; a tank is the same height all around, but reaching into a tank while standing in front requires a bit more reach to touch the bottom at the back of the tank than at the front.
I have kept a deep and wide tank in the past and could not reach the surface of the gravel much more than half way toward the back. Tools made dealing with items possible but not easy. I am now careful about the dimensions of a setup. I do not want the top rim of a tank on a stand to be up to my arm pit while standing. A few inches below allows easier reach into the tank. When looking at a tank in a store I like to see it on a stand if i have not used a setup before.