Lighting Advice Needed

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
Greetings All- My SW tank is just starting. The LR should be here in a few days and I plan on having a few small puffers and one or two clown fish.

What type of lighting do I need since I will/cannot have certain types of live coral with the puffer! Also at what point do I install the light? Do i need it while the LR is just in the tank and it is cycling?

Thanks!! -matt

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you're not going to have any coral, any kind of lighting will do, including stock lighting. A saltwater bulb would probably make the tank look nicer.

While cycling, you don't need the light on. If you want, put it on for a few hours a day. If you go straight to a 12-hour light cycle, you could end up with excess algae.

By the way, I don't believe there are any "small" saltwater puffers. Most get up to around 10", and need a 100 gallon (or more) tank.

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
Regarding saltwater bulb, is that a standard 10000k light that I can pick up at petsmart or something a little more unique?

regarding the puffers, I am looking at a Saddled Puffer (Canthigaster valentini).

thanks for the help!