Lighting and times

nomisbails

Small Fish
Dec 19, 2009
NW London
I was just wondering with the lighting in the tank how long the lights should run. I read that they shouldnt be on longer that 8 hrs per day. I have a timer set up for them to come on at different times through the day. My question is this: is it better to have the light on continuous for say 7 hours, or to break it up into several lighting periods. Help appreciated*PEACE!*

Feb 5, 2010
In a big wooden box
Doesn't it depend on how much your fish need the light. But I'm not too sure about it though but my Betta use to need light for like 7 hours, but he needed the darkness too. I'm not too sure why though, sorry I couldn't be too much help. I haven't have much past experience with fish much.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
fish will do just fine from the ambient lighting in your room (especially with the ambient lighting that comes through the windows in your room)

Bettas actually don't need that much light at all so idk why you had him get 7 hour a day...
most Bettas do just great in very dim conditions. less stress and they tend to develop brighter colors in darker settings ;)
It's no surprise that when conditioning fighters for fighting and breeding, Thai breeders will put the Betta in a container and put it in the dark, away from direct light of any kind.

If you have no live plants in your tank you should NOT keep it on a timer...if you do you risk algae blooms.
The only times you'll need to turn on the lights in the tank is feeding times ;)

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I turn on my lights at about 6:30-7am before I go to work and shut them off at around midnight-1am when I go to bed. no live plants and have had no issues with algea besides the lil bit that grows on the glass but it takes a week before that algea gets to even be all that noticable. then when the lights are off I have blue LED moonlights going that I built.

nomisbails

Small Fish
Dec 19, 2009
NW London
Thank you all for the help, I will take the timer off and just turn on and off when feeding/night time to watch them. I dont really have the lights on much, just and hour before work and several hrs before bed time for me. I guessed that too much light would cause alge to blossom so just curious as to how much would be good/bad.

And as for no live plants...maybe one day and it is possible to do artifical...although not from a purist's point of view I guess!!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
y go with artaficial? cause my cichlids have eaten EVERYTHING I have tried. even java fern and crypts. the crypts they dug up and ate the roots off and ripped open the bulbs. just aint possible lol.

sparky0413

Small Fish
Sep 26, 2009
I have fake plants and a fake coral. I have algae on the fake oral and the fake plants isnt that suppose to be good food for my pleco ?

I also feed him pleco algae food ...

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
feed your pleco some blanched romaine lettuce and spinach.
some other good foods to feed are raw sweet pepper, and cucumber/zucchini slices.

and exhumed, sorry to hear that :( Africans and most large cichlids don't mix with plants well, but have you tried floating plants? like floating hornwort, water wisteria, water sprite, or have you tried potting your plants/ attaching that java fern to rocks?

sparky0413

Small Fish
Sep 26, 2009
I actually have fake plants and a fake coral. but the fake coral and fake plants have some algea on them.. is this good for Hoover ? so I should not feed him those discs anymore ? blanced romaine is better ? can golfish eat that too ?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yes, the goldfish will eat just about anything you will give the pleco, and will benefit from everything you give him.
All the fish in your tank will benefit from Blanched (boiled for 2 min) Romaine lettuce, Spinach, Cucumber, zucchini, and even broccoli. Sweet peppers should be given as raw slices..

The algae is good for hoover, but most likely he can only get the algae that grows on the tank's glass. his disc mouth is more designed for grazing over flat surfaces like glass than the craggy surfaces like the coral...
Algae discs are good to feed 2-3 times a week to him, but his diet should be as varied as possible. and try your best to get Hickari or other brand rather than Wardley (you can prolly tell I have a grudge against Wardley by now :p)

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
a really hardy plant, ie. not hard to eat but hard to make it vanish is water wisteria. plant LOTS of them , keep nice level of co2 source and nutrients, it will grow massively if not eat and even if fish attack (mine do ,but rarely, v moody goldies) it will still grow rapidly within a week. Only thing is , stemming the roots, no need to float it for roots to come out, simply take some stones in fishnet and strap them around the bottom of stems and tie nicely, then put them in sand/gravel substrate, it will root within a week as it assimilates to water condition.

Just look at water wisteria here > YouTube - Planted Goldfish tank 30 gallon (in progress) and now YouTube - 30Gallon Goldfish and planted tank Update: Feb-06-10 . The latest vid is after pruning the top part of wisteria , i took out good chuck of branches, still its too big for fishes to swim around. so getting bigger tank.