lighting for 30 gallon tall

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
we have had a 30 gallon tall tank for a few years now, it has been occupied by a single mean fish for awhile, we are relocating him, and transforming his former tank into a reef. we are not sure what lighting would be best since the tank is so tall. we would like to have all types of corals etc...please help out! metal halides are out of the question due to the price. thanks.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
for the depth of a 30 tall halides will give you what you want. If halides are a impossible answer than T5s are the next in line but on a 30 a halide pendant (check ebay) is a good answer and resonably priced

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well i decided not to go with anything to fancy but i picked up 130w corallife light and moved all the hatian rock from the 30 gallon to the 120 gallon and put at least 30 lbs of some pretty decent rock they had at the lfs for 2.99 a lb ...i got a cleaner shrimp, 9 snails, about 10 hermit crabs (like 4 differant types) i threw in a feather duster, and my tomato clown, and cromis from the 55 gallon...i figure this is a good start next week id like to get some more rock before i start to add zoos and shrooms...ill post pics in the next day or 2
do any of you guys have any suggestions on other inverts and id like to add another small fish