Lighting for low-light corals

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
I really dont know much about lighting or corals but just wanted to keep some lowlight corals after i get my fish settled in for a few months. I dont want to upgrade the lighting fixture because its an eclispe hood and if you replace that then i would have to get another top, lighting fixture and pwrhead to supplement my filter but I might eventually when i get more money. The light is an 18" flourescent and from what i understand you need 3-5 wph for a lower light corals. I just want to lively up my tank with something my clowns could host inl. I was thinking of frogspawn and mushrooms and Zoanathids. I really dotn know the care requiremetns for this or if their even lowlight corals but any help would be greatly appreciated. I really dont want to add any food for the corals but anyways, thanks for all the help, I couldnt have gotten this far without you all.

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
ohh i also need to know if a skimmer is needed, and since theirs no room for a sump then i have to get a HOB but their is no room behind the tank since its right on the wall. If i were to get a CPR Bak Pak skimmer can you put it on the ground next to the tank or what?
Thanks

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
my mush and zoanthids were ok with 80w to 160w of fluorescent..but the frogspawn didn't grew much. I have a 55, you have a 20, so i think the height might be different.
Anyways the 18" fluo..how many watts?
Only have experience with one, but i can tell you under 150w mh + fluo now i have 2 babies growing fast.

Check this link : http://www.inlandreef.com/eclipse.html

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
you shouldnt need a skimmer as long as you are diligent about water changes and stock your tank on the lighter side. Shrooms would be ok, and zoas might too, but I think the frogspawn would be kind of borderline and wouldnt suggest it, it sounds like the fixture isnt very powerful. also clowns dont readily host in corals, even if you bought the frogspawn they might not take to it.

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
My tank only has one bulb and I think its 15 watts which is pretty under powered and my tank is actually 18 gallons not 20. So thats not very much light. Does any one recommend a good light, i really dont know anything about them but i want somethig that will fit on a glass top if i get a new hood which i will have to, i dont want metal halide because they heat up the water a bunch and you have to hang them above the tank i think.

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
a 50/50 is a mix of daylight spectrum and actinics lights. The actinic will help corals by stimulating their zooxantellae.
I think it's a good mix...but actinics don't shoot much light, so if you really want a good amount of light, you could go with a 20w 6500k light, same socket, same brand...or buy one 50/50 + the 20w 6500k

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
ok cool, well it was just a thought but a few months from now i do want some coral,prob for christmas. But as i posted above, can i just put another 18" bulb thats 15watts and 50/50 or should i get a new light setup. If i should get a new setup is a Power compact strip light good?
Thanks, my tank light is just regular flourescent lighting tube

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
Im not gonna do a replacement but just a new light strip altogather. I'll buy another powerhead to go over top of it but is their a good PC light strip under 20" that would house some low-med light corals and if so you put those on legs so what do most people use for a top, glass?
Thanks

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
I cant find any T5 or Power Compact lighting systems(light strips) under 20" and above 11 or 12. My tank is the same length and width of a ten gallon just taller, so what does everyone use on their 10 gallon nano reefs if it isnt metal halide?
Thanks

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site