Lighting Qeustions

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
Sorry for this questions but does anyone know this website http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppr..._aqualight.html, ?it has the 96 watt powerquad for 22 cheaper than foster and smith and has the sattelite 2x40 fixture for 93. I was wondering, does 16 watts make a diffrence? I want a lunar light to watch my corals at night and stuff but the tanks in my room, would it make a big diffrence, is it very bright(lunar light)? If anyon can tell me about hte website and if their reliable and about wattage and the lunar light, that would be great. My tank is 20 inches across, would the 2x40 watt sattelite fit, its 21" across. I want to keep some Zoos, rocordias, maybe a red open brain and some LPS. Is that possible and what would be the best option. The Sattelite has a fan so does it turn off when the lights turn off? If anyone knows about this please respond/comment, thanks.

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
I went to the lfs and most of his corals are pretty cheap, like the run of the mill zoos which i find fine were like 14 and under for a few polyps and like 60 for over 50 polyps(those were actually a cool green). Whats cool with this guy is he said he would negotiate and if i have some cool looking corals we could trade or get store credit if i end up fragging them. I cant wait to get my light, i just need some money. But he has one onyx looking clown in his coral tank which is also the display tank and i ordered two onyx clowns(wild caught, pretty hard to find CB) for around 20 each. His reg percula(A.Percula) are 12.99 or 14.99 so he said a little more and i said like around twenty and he said yeah. That pretty cheap. I hijacked my own thread, oh well. Does anyone know if the sattelite fits on a 20"L tank

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Just yesterday I purchased the 20"aqualight with the 96watt bulb. It brings out the colors really nice. For what you want you could go with thew other one, but the aqualight will let you keep more variety in the future.

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
I think im gonna order of innovativelights.com, its 103.77 for the 96watt 50/50 quad with reg black legs and shipping. Not bad at all since fosterandsmith is 109.99 for just the unit. Im gonna order it pretty soon because i dont want to miss the sale. Once i get my onyx clowns ill make some more money and after ive gotten the light get some cheap zoos,mushrooms and ricordias. Could i get a kenya tree witht his lighting? And this is getting off topic but what do i feed thsi corals. Do i spot feed mysis or can i get that DT's stuff and do like a 1/3 or 1/2 of a cap every other day and just pour it in(thats for filter feeders right)? If i do need that im also gonna get a small hawaiian feather duster. iF you just help me out ill stop asking questions, haha. Thanks though

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
Ohh, im also gonna get a pair of those thick kitch gloves that go half way up from your wrist to your elbow. YOu know the ones that come in diffrent colors. I was gonna get them for handling Zoos. If those arnt good, what do you all use?

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
personally, i'd go with the 96w quad aqualight. you can get a kenya tree with the lighting. just feed your corals with a bit of phyto every few days. if you keep up with regular water changes you can get away without dosing too much of anything.

the red open brain is an LPS coral. you have to spot feed it.

and i usually just stick my hand in the tank and move whatever around. i bought the aquagloves just to be safe, but i find that i can't navigate like i can with just my hands.

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
Ok sweet, I heard their poisonous, should i take any precautions. Im gonna get the 96watt quad with 50/50 off of innovative ligths with reg legs. Whats teh real benefits of adjustable legs, can you just move them up and down or what? I want to keep some leathers, mushrooms, Zoos, open red/green brain and a kenya tree. How does that sound. Anything wrong here. I will prob spot feed the brain with mysis that i will also use to feed the fish with(my petsmart has hikari frozen mysis for 4 something) and where can i get phyto? If i got phyto could i get an Hawaiian Feather duster? I already have tones of little ones on my Live Rock.

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
Oh yeah, how does the 50/50 look versus the 6700k and what are the pros/cons. I dont really want anything yellowish so i would assume the 50/50 would be a better ligths as it owuld be in the middle but i dont know
thanks

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
I have the money now. WOOOT. OK, im ordering it tommorow and going to the lfs some times next week after mowing my grandfathers lawn. I want to get two frag sizes of some green mushrooms and like an open brain. Is that ok to get two at ones. I know i should put the open brain on the sand and spot feed with mysis and i will be puttinga two litre bottle top thing to keep my shirmp out but what do i feed my mushrooms. Marine snow, phytp, cyclopeeze or is light god enough. I might also get some zoos. What do they need besides the light. Im either getting mushroom and zoos or shrooms and brain. Also, how should i get the zoos or mushrooms on the rocks. Thanks