Lighting Question...

Viciente

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
First post... I hope it's a good one. :eek:

The tank I have is currently 20 gallons (Hand-me-down). It initially came with incandescent bulbs as lighting (two fixtures). They never really threw much light and I wasn't impressed at the way it looked, so I purchased an aftermarket hood for the tank. This hood a ballast which supports a single 18" flourescent tube. This provided a much nicer look to the tank.

Now, I have recently 'upgraded' myself to a planted tank. I upgraded the existing tube which came with the hood (an eclipse bulb I think...) to a Hagen Aqua-Glo. According to the LFS and the Hagen website, this bulb is suitable for intensifying fish colors and promoting plant growth. This lamp has now been in service for about 2 months now... (I know to replace them every 6 months or so 'cause they start to loose their spectrum)...

Now the bulb is 15W (I know 'cause it says on the package) :D My question is this: From reading this website, I have learned that it's a good idea to have at least 3 - 5 WPG for lighting to have good plant growth... Is this WPG rating for incandescent bulbs? Is there an equivalent for flourescent bulbs? If I were to get 5 WPG using flourescent bulbs, I'd need a hood and ballast which supported 7 flourescent bulbs!?!? I've never seen that on any aquarium.... My poor fishies would need sunblock! *laughingc Now I know 15W of flourescent lighing is much brighter than 30W of incandescent (this is from experience). So I need to know, how to judge how much light to give my little plants (Java Ferns). Is just one 15W 18" Flourescent bulb enough? I don't think I can get multi-tube systems for my little tank.. At least I've never seen them..

Please help. :)

- Viciente

-----------------------------
My Tank:
20G Aquarium
GEOsystem Natural gravel.
Marineland Penguin Biowheel HOB Filter
18" AquaGLO 15W Flourescent Bulb
Hagen Co2 PlantGRO Natural System
Driftwood
Medium/Large Smooth Stones
2 x Dwarf Grouamis
2 x Ottos
3 x Lemon Tetras
9 x Neon Tetras
2 x Glassfish (Dumb decision now, but hey... Live and learn)
A Whole Whack of Java Ferns (approx 50% coverage of bottom of tank)

Sep 16, 2005
hi viciente-

java fern is notoriously hardy, but i think less than 1 watt per gallon is a bit precarious.

my boyfriend keeps some in his ten gallon, using the exact same bulb you are, (1.5 WPG) and his plant has been dropping daughters and looking green and happy, just like a java fern is supposed to do.

if you've still got those incandescent fixtures, you could possibly find some compact fluorescent bulbs like these that will fit them, and boost your wattage per gallon. i use a 10W cf on my 5 gallon, and my plants (including one of the daughter java ferns) seem to enjoy it. just make sure you get daylight balanced lights, and all should be good.

hope this helps!

Last edited:

Viciente

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
Looked into that...

RobMiller5 said:
get metal halides end of story,
A very good suggestion. It's something I looked into actually, but $500.00 to $1000.00 is a bit more than I am prepared to commit to this project...

I looked a MH kits online:

Just out of my price range... And I am not handy enough for DIY stuff... (The outcome always looks like a dog's breakfast).

It's just so hard to find anything in an 18" bulb...

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Java ferns to well in about any light. They do go better however with the more light that is provided (within reason). Getting into plants, there is more to think about that just light. The plants are only going to use as much light as the other factors let it. So if you don't want to get into ferts, Co2 and the other fun stuff that is associated with plants, you don't want too much light over the tank for now.

I agree that the PC screw in type bulbs would be the easiest way to go if you still have the hood. Also www.ahsupply.com sells retro fit kits for the regular PC flourecent bulbs. I've never used on, but they do look rather simple to install and wire up.

Also- The WPG rule applys to the flourecents, not incandecents. I should also add that it's actually more of a guideline than a real 'rule'. Just gives you an idea of where to shoot for depending on the tank setup and the plants you have.

Also by adding more light, without the proper balance you may be giving an open invitation for algae in your tank. You may want to read up and research on planted tanks a little more before you increase the amount of light in your tank to help keep this from happening.

Viciente

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
Well, I've started researching and increasing my knowledge.
I have a Co2 Injection system (The Hagen one as mentioned above) and I've been using plant fertiliziers like PlantGRO and PlantGRO NPK when needed. I don't have a test kit to test for disolved heavy metals yet, but that's on the xmas list. My LFS told me that Java Ferns would do well, and they have... But I want to diversify into other types of plants.. Ones which might not be as easy to maintain. So that's why I wanted to start asking the 'right' questions right now before I blow money on plants which will eventually die 'cause I don't have the proper conditions for them. :)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Last edited:

Viciente

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
Lotus said:
I think Big Als has the wrong price on those :p
Sorry, I'm up here in Canada.. So the price shown was in Canadian Dollars...
Though it is still high...

I just wanted a website with a pic to show everyone... :)

There are a couple eBay stores that have them on sale for 48.00... I'll probably get it from there.
I can always warranty through the MFG...