Lighting question

Pag-dizzle

Medium Fish
Jul 6, 2003
Ajax, Ontario
Visit site
Lighting issues ... k people 1st on my list of tank needs is lighting. The light on my 75 gal. right now is just a 48" 2 bulb ... nothing special. Im looking to set up a tank with fish and soft corals such as anemones .... the basic i dont want to jump in too deep.
Now do i need to go all out with a metal halide combo hood or can i get away with like a 4 bulb x 65 watt combo hood ?
obviously the 1st option is greater but do soft corals need that kind of light ?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
well, anenomes aren't particularly easy...the majority of them require intense lighting and pristine water conditions...there are a few out there that dont need tons of light...but most require much more light than soft corals....if you can afford it go with MH, you will be happier in the long run.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Softies can survive in lower light than hard, but most of them are collected/farmed in more intense ligh, and th more light there is , the better. Thehe twin fluor tubes are pretty inadequate, and frankly I would go straight to MH although the PC's are also possible.
Most desirable anemonaes require pretty intense lighting, for them you will want the MH lighting to make your life easier. They will work under the PC's but will call on you to make more effort to keep other conditions pristine

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Softs will work under the 65 watt pc bulbs some anemones would do fine as well...off the top of my head Long Tentacles and bubble tipped varieties.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
the bulbs last longer...you can keep anything, they look cooler...can punch into deeper tanks...however...they give off more heat, require more power. THey are the best option out there....I have them on my 90....and I really like them, I wish I had gotten them for my 40 as well, instead of a PC unit. Get and HQI unit...they are better.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I was told when starting to get the best lights I could afford as I didn't want to have to upgrade as my skill levels improved.....also I wanted to keep corals. I went with the Current USA Outer Orbit hood which is 2 x 130w pc actinics and 2 x 150 w mh...with small moon lights for night. Dual fans and a huge price tag. They come with timers and a single plug which makes life easier....actually this is a very very nice light the only thing is it is very heavy to lift on and off the tank for maintenance........I love the way the mh lights shimmer through the water just like sunlight does......