lighting question

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
at 5 watts per gallon what corals would i be able to keep?? besides shrooms and zoos what else could i keep??????

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ok well right now i have a 130 watts over my 30 gallon... i plan to combine my 30 and 55 gallon tanks so i plan to put my coralife 130watt to use on my 55 gallon and i will get another next to it so i guess it would be a total of 260watts for a 55 gallon tank...another question is do i have to get the same wattage since itll be sitting side by side or can i get something a bit stronger so i can get better corals?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Well I have 120 watts for regular NO lighting on my 55. I currently have xenia, star burst, bubble, and orange buttons polyps. Oh yeah, and majano. Do you have PC? That would be even better to reach farther in the the tank. With 260 of PC you can pretty much have anything except SPS. Well, some say you can but I don't know too much about them.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Joe Fish said:
Well I have 120 watts for regular NO lighting on my 55. I currently have xenia, star burst, bubble, and orange buttons polyps. Oh yeah, and majano. Do you have PC? That would be even better to reach farther in the the tank. With 260 of PC you can pretty much have anything except SPS. Well, some say you can but I don't know too much about them.
you say 120 watts total on a 55 gallon?? :eek: have you actually had long term success?? i wouldnt imagine that would be nearly enough light

btw whats regular NO lighting?????

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Well it's enough light for survival, but they do not grow very quickly. I have them all placed closer to the top of the tank too. The corals I have are not high light corals. NO lighting is regular 40 floursent lighting.

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well back to the original question i already have 130 watts should i pair it up and get another 130 watt or would sumthing stronger be smarter?? or would that not look right??

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
You can grow most anything but it might not colour up perfectly, though that's as much a fuinction of water quality.

FWIW you can also grow most stuff under NO lights, but you have to keep the water shallow, and be right on the money with water clarity. I have grown more than you's imagine was possible under lots of NO bulbs. You just need to get the lumens, not the watts

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
TheFool said:
You can grow most anything but it might not colour up perfectly, though that's as much a fuinction of water quality.

FWIW you can also grow most stuff under NO lights, but you have to keep the water shallow, and be right on the money with water clarity. I have grown more than you's imagine was possible under lots of NO bulbs. You just need to get the lumens, not the watts
yea but whos guna spend all that money on various corals without a light :eek: it just sounds silly