Lighting question...

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
Hi all, I have another nub question. So as some of you know I have a little 10g that I got from one of those Petsmart starter kits. It has the hood with the two screw in lightbulbs that pretty much suck. So at the advice of one local store I bought two of those swirly lightbulbs (the energy efficient ones) to replace the incandescent bulbs.

I've been trying to add more plants and I was told/scolded by an employee at another local store that I didn't have high light, the swirlies were no good, that I should get fluorescent bulbs. So I went to yet another local store because I knew they had the fluorescent hood and glass top and they've been nice to me as an added bonus. Basically, I got that and plugged it in and I was suprised to see a purple, dimmer light than my two swirly bulbs.

Sorry about the long windedness but here's the question, the long fluorescent that I just got says it's 18-19 watts. The two swirly bulbs USE 10 watts total but add up to something like "the visual equivalent to 40 watts." I don't know what that means exactly. Anyway, did I make a mistake in getting the fluorescent hood, or is that the way to go? Also, are there any 18" fluorescent tubes that are brighter than what I have while still only using 19 watts (I believe that's the power limit on the hood)?

Sorry guys, I'm still a noob and I'm trying to learn as much as possible all at once...probably not the best of ideas. Anyway, thanks in advance!

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
Some one will pick up on this thread soon but for the most part, the watts don't mean anything cause you want a certain spectrum of light from what i understand like 10,000k and so forth. This basically means that more light can travel farther through the water some plants have it high and some low. But like i said i am not expert either but some one will pick this thread up fast with a lot of info! Another place to look would be the aquatic plants section of the forum.

Link for the aquatic plants forum if you want to take a look around!
Aquatic plants!

Last edited:

Macfish

Small Fish
Jan 27, 2008
I have 2 - 10's set up, one with a regular incandescent set up (yours) and one that I custom made to hold 2 - 18" fluorescent bulbs.

I too went the same route buying 2 - 6500k "day light" compact fluorescent bulbs (I forget what wattage) from Walmart and it works perfect for me.

I sometimes take plants from the tank with regular fluorescent tube bulbs and transplant them into the tank with the screw-in kind to save the plant/bring it back to life.

Both tanks are filtered/heated/stocked (guppies)/maintained the same.

As you can see I took the right side reflector off in the second picture, this was to fit a larger bulb in but it made very little difference so I went back to the smaller style and put the reflector back in.

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
With either of the setups you have (incandescent hood with screw-in compact fluorescents and standard, normal out put fluorescent hood) you should be able to grow low and medium light plants. That covers a good variety of plants, and you should be able to get a good display going. Usually, the normal output fluorescents are 15 watt bulbs, so you do have slightly less light than the other hood. I agree about the screw-in bulbs at Walmart being great (they're in the fish section).

There's a great guide for plant light requirements here: PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide It should help you work out if the plants you have will be OK.

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
Thanks for the info everyone! I'm getting closer to solving this lighting issue. I'll give you all an update soon!

UPDATE: So after talking with a few workers at the local shops I think I sort of get this lighting stuff. Basically that one shop swindled me out of $45 so I returned it but they would only give me store credit. Boo! I think I'll go ahead and shell out for a power compact because I want some pretty, pretty plants. Again thanks for the help!

Last edited: