lighting question

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
I have been reading the posts and have noticed that it seems like the lighting is important. I thought it was just for decoration. Anyway we are just using the lights that came with the tank. I don't keep them on but for about 4 hours a day. Is this ok or should I leave the lights on more. So they really serve a big purpose?

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
if you Dont have plants in your tank i dont think it matters, as long as they are not getting to much light ( ALGAE will pop up ! ).
i was leaving my regular old flouresent light on for 10 to 12 hours which is WAY TOOOO LONG. combined with sunlight coming in room it messed me all up
now i turn on when i feed, and leave on for about 8 hours ( just to keep the same winter schedule ) and ive been told here that you dont even have to turn the light on
again as long as you dont have real plants.
hope this helps

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
I have been reading the posts and have noticed that it seems like the lighting is important. I thought it was just for decoration. Anyway we are just using the lights that came with the tank. I don't keep them on but for about 4 hours a day. Is this ok or should I leave the lights on more. So they really serve a big purpose?
Your fish need 8-12 hours of light per day.

1. Algae will grow and is not bad to have a little because algae is photosynthetic and will help put oxygen in the water. Algae will also provide food for microorganisms which the smaller fish like tetras will constantly be "grazing" on.
2. Light triggers instinctive actions in all organisms. Your fish are programmed to behave certain ways depending upon the intensity of light.
3. The various color patters and stripes exist to help some species of fish to school. Without light, the fish cannot see the colors and cannot form their instinctive schools.
4. Fish need a predictable schedule and the on/off of the lights help in maintaining that schedule.

Always put your light on a timer so it goes on and off at the same time every day.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
i dug up this old pic

this is what my tank looked like before i knew what the hell i was doing.
this was mostly from tooooo much light and overfeeding.
looks bad dont it ! lol
thank god i know what im doing now lol
just thought youd like to see what a tank IS NOT SUPPOSE TO LOOK LIKE ! lol