Lighting questions?

Mar 7, 2008
LI, New York
In my 29 gal. freshwater tank, I have 2 gold barbs, 4 serpae tetras, 2 clown loaches, 2 small angels and a pleco. The issue that I am having with them is: whenever I turn on the light, EVERYBODY hides!! (I have 2 logs in my tank that provide TONS of hiding for my fish.) I realize that I do not turn on the tank light consistently, so that may be part of the issue. However, I do have a decent amount of plants in the tank, and I know they need light.

The light that I have on the tank right now is the "stock" fluorescent bulb that came with a typical kit that I bought at Petco. The bulb says it is 17w. The back of the hood says it can handle up to 20w.

My question is: Can/should I replace the bulb? If so, which type of bulb should I buy? If I should not replace the bulb, what would be the solution to all of my fish going into hiding when I turn on the light?

Thank you in advance for your help!!*twirlysmi

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
If you develop the habit of feeding them as soon as you turn on the light, it might help them make a positive association between the two events.
BV

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Also, if you turn on your light consistantly at the same time every day it will also help. Invest in a timer for your light and set it to come on for about 8 hours each day. You can get a timer at the hardware store for about 5 bucks. That will ensure a better way for your fish to get use to the light being on.