Lighting Questions

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
I just got my lights for my new reef today. I bought a 24 hour lighting system with different plugs for all sections. The actintic, the daylight, and the led for night viewing. I was wondering how to go about simulating the natural sun like which lights for how long combos? right now i was thinking 2 hours in the morn for all blue, 2 hours after that for actinic/daylight, 2 hours for just daylight, 2 hours for just blue again. Then the night light all night>

Sound Good?

This is the first time ive had such control over a lighting system

Thanks in advance.

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
What you probably want to do is set it up so the lights are on about 8 hours during the day when you can enjoy it the most often, I have mine set so the actinics come on at about 3 pm, then the whites come on at about 4 pm and stay on till about 10 pm and then the actinics turn off at about 11 pm and then my LED's come on and are on overnight. During the daytime hours it gets some natural light from my windows.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i would do about 8 hrs for the daylights and have the actinics come on like and hour before to simulate dawn than stay on all day and stay on about and hr after the daylights go off.... moonlights can stay on all night but i only have mine on till like 2 am