lighting systems

Slick

Small Fish
Sep 4, 2008
What do you consider to be the best lighting systems (or the best lighting for the buck)?

I am looking to purchase a system for my 75 gallon tank. I am just starting to add corals, and can definately tell that the CFs arent going to cut it.

I've been looking at: 36" (4or6)x39W Tek Light T5 High-Output Fixture made by Sunlight Supply.

What do you think, and do you know of a place with great prices?

Thanks.

Slick

Small Fish
Sep 4, 2008
What sizes/types of Halides would you recommend. I forgot to add those. Will they get too hot under a full canopy? What do you use for the night time lighting with halides?

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
I have a full canopy with a Hamilton 48" dual 175W halide and 2 48" VHO actinics. I bought a 4 foot string of blue wide angle LEDS (about 20 of them) that are zip tied to the fixture for night time lights. My fixture sits about 5" off the water in the canopy and I haven't had heat issues, even in the summer time I had the heater running in it. For a 75 gallon 2 175 watt halides should be plenty. 250w if you were planning on having a lot of high light coral.

drummin

Small Fish
Aug 18, 2008
T5's are nice with low price on replacments bulbs, low heat, and low electricity. but for color in your corals you cant really beat MH

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i prefer mh but ive seen plenty of kicka** tanks with t5's so its all in what u like the most... the secret with t5's is finding the right bulb combo ;)