Lighting & tank setup

Oct 29, 2007
Bucks County, PA
Hey guys I'm new to the world of salt. I'm starting up a 30 gallon 36"L x 12"w x 18"h. So far i have (2) Rio+ 600 powerheads, Marineland 250 watt heater. Plans for 30 to 35lbs of fiji Live rock and a Remora Pro or EV 120 if i run a Sump. My question is would a 250watt Metal Halide be to much light for the tank if theres such a thing... my other thought was a Orbit 2x 96w PC. I'm very open to input . Should i run bigger/more powerheads?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I wouldn't trust the rio powerheads as they have been known to be problematic. I would seriously look into the Hydor Koralias as an option. They run well and produce a nice broad flow pattern. The metal halide light would be optimal espeically if you are wanting high light demand corals and livestock later such as sps corals, clams, and anemones. Otherwise the 2x96 orbit would allow you to have some lps and most softies and polyps. You have a good plan so far and it appears you have done some home work. Well done!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I agree, I ran 2 820 seios on my 75 before I went to koralias and never had a problem with them other than sometimes they needed to be shaken to restart.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i used rios before switching to koralias and they are notorius for not starting back up .... a 250w mh would be ideal and some pics would be nice :D

Oct 29, 2007
Bucks County, PA
Today i went down to the LFS and picked up a Kent R/O DI Hi s Max 60 GPD:cool: Seems like a real nice system filling up my water storage tank right now!! I also picked up a 5 gal bucket of salt. So i should be ready for the liverock this week and finally some pictures.

Oct 29, 2007
Bucks County, PA
Checked water today all the levels look good.*BOUNCINGS I have a few Questions about sump size and Pump size. I was looking at building a 10 or 20 gal sump. I was looking at maybe a 20L tank. My major question is what size pump should i run i have a 1" return in my 30 gal tank. The Little Giant 3-MDQ-SC or maybe the 3-MDQX-SC but not sure if my return will handle that pump or will it?

Last edited: