Lighting types

JNB

New Fish
Feb 13, 2011
I have not had an aquarium for 20 years and always had a tank with lighting in the hood. Now I am starting a 55 gal and it seems like almost all good lighting stands on supports above the tanks.

- why is this - heat?
- is it a bad idea to put some T5's in a light that sits on a hood
- if I use a light on supports, I still use a glass tank lid, right?

thanks for your help

Feb 27, 2009
Several of my planted tanks have lights on feet that keep them 3-4" above the tank itself. All also have glass tops, but seldom they are on the tanks as I forget to put them back after trimming plants, etc. (And no, no fish has ever jumped out). I do have two that I DO keep the glass tops on, as the lights sit directly on the glass (these are DIY light hoods).

Raising the lights helps spread the light out over the entire floor surface of the tank (less shadows = better plant growth). Another reason is more air circulation to help keep heat down. Some lights get so hot that they can melt the plastic rim on an aquarium. It also helps to be able to do tank maintanence with the lights out of the way.

Last edited:

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
If you go DIY you can use a shop light either right on the glass, built into a wooden hood, or hanging above the tank. I have a tank where the light hangs on chains, i just raise and lower it as needed, it looks nice.

My tank with the wooden hood has broken glass tops at the moment, so the lights are above the tank but there is no glass, honestly it has about 2-3 times the evap, but i have a bucket and a tap so it's just sorta annoying but not really a problem :)