Lighting

Flame

Small Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
My gosh I had no idea there was so many lighing options. I have read enough to be totally confused. I understand Metal Halide is on of the better options. This aside how would 48" 260W (65Wx4) Aquarium Power Compact Light work in a standard 50 gallon beginners reef tank. Where would a good source for reading and calculations for lighting a tank.

Thanks
All

Flame

Small Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Thats a question I can not answer yet still researching. What do you suggest for a new tank and beginner. Needs to look great and mistake resistant. LOL

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the PC lights you mention are great for soft corals and most LPS. that is what i have over my 55 and it is working great. if you want SPS and clams then you will want halides. The first step is really to decide what you want to keep and then decide what lighting to get.

if you want to see a looong set of pictures of my tank click here: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24681

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You should be able to keep a lot of stuff with that lighting. Calculations for what you really need are very flexible