Lighting

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I was searching through some old posts, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. Currently I have one regular white 40 watt aquarium bulb. Then I have one actinic 40 watt, I think is about 7100k. If I wanted to add some coral and all that other fun reef stuff would my lights and/or fixture work?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
actinics aren't very efficients...just looks more blue and 40w of regular ( like 3000k ? ) aren't very fun for your future coral(s) on a 55g.
Started with 160w total of 40w ( range between 6700 and 18000k ) and it just wasn't enough. You got some books ?
Also if you have very low light output + not and incredible amount of rock, the light will have to go deeper in your tank to reach inverts you've put on the live rock.
I dunno but start with fishies when you tank is cycled, keep your cash to buy a decent lighting system then you can start thinking about corals.
Lighting is very important. BTW your fishies don't need fancy lights.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I've got 4.1 and metal halide and it's not enough. the rule per gallon isn't always true. Let's say you have a super tall aquarium that is 23 inches high and you got another aquarium, same volume, but larger and less tall..one of them is going to have more light reaching the bottom than the other

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
This is along the same topic so I won't start a new thread but I would like to know if anyone out there has made or used a non-aquarium related metal halide lamp/fixture on their tank?
For my new tank I have decided on MH but I'm wondering if I can get around the high costs of mh fixtures that are designed for fish tanks.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Running non matching ballasts on aquarium bulbs can give you some very nasty results, especially mercury ballasts (read lots UV, dead corals). If you shop aroundand are smart MH is no pricier than comparable PC or straight fluoro setups.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well you can make this work, but it is a very high maintenance approach.

People will tell you that you need this lighting, or that lighting, or the other to keep corals x or y. In reality I have kept, and raised sps corals under 4 * 40 fluorescents as you describe. So it is possible, but, to make it work, you have to keep the water depth to them shallow, certainly less than 30 cms. Also, you will need to be very on the ball with using carbon and water changes to keep your water very, very clear. If you think your water is clear try putting white paper behind the tank, and see if you can see a difference.

There are many ways to make things work, but for newbies some are more practical than others. 4*40 watts over a shallow tank will get you a long way, but you need to change all your bulbs every 6 months, and you need to be on top of water clarity like you wouldn't believe. Metal halides have fans because thy're simplae and more forgiving of maintenance