Lighting ?

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
I have a friend of mine who has a 50 gallon tank that is 30x12 footprint. he need to know how strong of lighting he needs to have a reef tank.. he wants to have corals and such in there.

appreciate the help.

Ken

vipers

Small Fish
Jul 28, 2008
i think the rule of thumb for reef is 5-7 watts per gallon of water for a reef setup...so for a 30'ish gallon tank 200watts would roughly be adequate.. correct me if im wrong

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
The rule for watts per gallon doesn't always work with saltwater. You have to consider light intensitity as well. This would also depend on what type of coral are going to be kept. I would stick to either a T5 or Metal Halide fixture. A power compact fixture would work, but I'd recommend one of the other two.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The reason Joe is suggesting this is that some time down the road you may want to introduce higher more intense light requiring corals and better to spend the money now rather than need to upgrade later on....

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
The reason Joe is suggesting this is that some time down the road you may want to introduce higher more intense light requiring corals and better to spend the money now rather than need to upgrade later on....
I agree with Lorna. a 250W MH will do the trick.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
380w halide? Must be a 250w with pc actinic supplements? probably 2 x 65 pc.....sounds like a good mix and will let you keep just about anything you want

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
no not really, it actually started as a 10g quarantine......then sort of grew. Smaller tanks are okay but need more careful monitoring and water changes as parameters can go out of whack really quickly on smaller water volumes.

Yes Ft. Wayne. check out our club site.... FIREWORM's TANK