Lighting?

Apr 13, 2009
Just bought a new tank 36x18x16.5 (l-w-h) to start a reef tank. With my tank being shallow and wanting corals and anemone, I dont know what light to use. Looking for bang for my buck, but I also want sufficient light for growth in my tank. Any help would be appreciated.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Get 2x175 MH lights.. I would recomend a 14k bulb as well that should be enough light to keep anything you wanna have in your tank.. Some places sell retro kits that are sometimes cheaper than buying a whole set up or you can check your local reefers that may be taking down their tank and get a cheap set up that way.. HTH

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
are the MH's expensive? would HOT5's get close for the price or limit what coral that can be kept? thought i would toss that in (not trying to hijack thread) to give more possible options. i'm no pro and learning from others and what i read.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
T5 HO can work well, you just need to make sure you get enough bulbs in the fixture. To be honest, I don't know if a 6-bulb or a 4-bulb fixture would be best for your tank. I have a Tek fixture that I'm very happy with.

As for price, you basically have to bite the bullet and spend out on a really good fixture from the start. A Tek 36" with 6 bulbs will run around $350 (including bulbs).

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
For a 40 breeder a T5 with 6 bulbs should grow anything I would think. You can get 2 175w metal halides for cheaper then $350 if you buy retrofits and install them your self. Craigslist is an option too if it's active in your area. I bought a year old 175w ballast with reflector/mogul socket and 3 lightly used 20k bulbs for $90 last month off CL.