Lights on at night instead of day?

dt007

Small Fish
Jul 21, 2009
If I light a tank at night instead of the day, and cover it during the day to imitate night, will this cause issues with fish health? Although in this case I'm keeping a shrimp-only 2 gallon bowl. The reason I'm asking is because most people visit the house at night for some odd reason and my main tank's lights are always off by then, so I'm wondering if I can do this instead.

I know it's an odd question and may sound cruel to some at first glance, but it sounds logical if I think about it. I doubt any of you have tried this before, but what do you think might happen if I do this?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I only run my tank lights when it's dark (and only then for a few hours before I go to bed). I don't think you'd even have to cover the tank during the day. The fish will just adjust (and a lot of fish are nocturnal anyway).

Feb 27, 2009
If I light a tank at night instead of the day, and cover it during the day to imitate night, will this cause issues with fish health? Although in this case I'm keeping a shrimp-only 2 gallon bowl. The reason I'm asking is because most people visit the house at night for some odd reason and my main tank's lights are always off by then, so I'm wondering if I can do this instead.

I know it's an odd question and may sound cruel to some at first glance, but it sounds logical if I think about it. I doubt any of you have tried this before, but what do you think might happen if I do this?
I used to do exactly that for 6 yrs (I worked 2nd shift, so was home and awake from midnight until 6 or 7am, and wanted to see the fish/plants when I was awake). I didn't cover the tanks, but made sure the lights in the room stayed off during the new 'night' and kept curtains closed to keep out sunlight.

The plants adjusted easily. The fish took a few days before they were 'awake' at the right time. They adjusted just fine and lived long, healthy lives with no diseases.

Kanoria

Small Fish
Dec 26, 2009
Everywhere
Through my weird over night gaming phases I've found I've had that similar problem lol.

Luckily, someone had given me Lunar Lights. These things are awesome! It imitates moon lighting and lights up the tank enough to see what's going on. I believe it also helps with fishy business in the tank, if you know what I mean.

Here's where mine came from, and they're the cheapest that I've seen so far. Maybe a LSF might have a better deal? Either way here's what they look like:

Lunar Lights, Lighting | Pet Solutions

Maybe the white ones would be up your alley?
Just a random suggestion. :D