lights overheating tank?

Jul 31, 2006
Hi,
This is my first post and I wa sjust wondering if anyone could help me with this problem im having.
Ive recently started a 10 gallon tank, but whenever i leave my lights on for any period of time it heats up the water noticeable. If i leave it on for over 6 hours it can raise up to 8 degrees farenheit. Is this normal?
I am becoming scared of leaving the light on for too long...

thanks!

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
do you have incandescent (spelling..) bulbs or flourescent?

flor. lighting won't heat your tanks as much as incan. lighting.....i had that problem way back before i switched to all flourescent....

Jul 31, 2006
thanks! Ill have to check out the flourescent lights next time im at the fish store.
What is the highest the temperature can reach before the fish get too stressed? I usually dont let it get over 84, but sometimes i forget to turn it off and it can reach 86 :eek:

I have glowlight tetras, zebra danios, albino cory cats and a ghost shrimp.
Thanks so much!

Rossignol

Medium Fish
May 9, 2006
well it depends on yur lights i forget what i have i think its flourescent ya thats it. but those lights do heat up quite quickly definatly get a new hood

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
A new hood isn't needed. Go to any home improvement store or WalMart even and buy screw in Floro bulbs. You want the ones that are only 10-15 watts.

86 is as high as I would let that tank get, but all these daily temp swings are causing some level of stress, so get the floros ASAP.