Lights

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
For max effinciency from T5 you need individual gull wing reflectors for each tube, then you can stop a high % of the light going back into the bulb. The cheapo fixtures like this do not do that - it's worth about 40% of ouput.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Joe if it were me I would save my scheckls until I could afford the absolute best lighting I could. Rather than look for something now just bide your time until you can get the really good t5s There is no point buying a light now that won't do what you want it to do and then needing to upgrade again later. You could probably diy a metal halide system for almost the same price as a pc fixture.....if you have the know how and the time to do it. I just wish I could have put a pendant or two on mine, but with a cathedral ceiling I couldn't, hence the fixture I have. I do wish I had gone with t5 and mh combo though as opposed to pc and mh.....

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Well I was looking at that $200 fixture as something to get me by. I only have 120 watts right now of NO. I know I'm still debating on just waiting. I was thinking about those MH pendants, but I want to include actinics. I have been researching t5s and I do like them better. I guess I can just wait, my corals seem to be doing fine with the light I have they just do not grow very fast. Well, my tulip anemone are growing...for now. I might just work on my sump and stick with the lights I have now.