lion fish

mattistat

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2006
Sothern California
hello i want a sw tank and i was wondering if i could have acouple lionfish together? if so could i get 2 or 3. what size tank would i need? thanks for the help. :)

Oct 14, 2006
New Hampshire
mattistat said:
hello i want a sw tank and i was wondering if i could have acouple lionfish together? if so could i get 2 or 3. what size tank would i need? thanks for the help. :)

Lionfish tend to be Aggressive & Terrortorial. Not to mention(as you should know) the SPiny Rays that the have are poisonous. It takes about a 50 gallon for one but if you bought 2 at the same time and the est. terrortories they should be okay to have them both. IF you wanted 3 though you'd have to get at least a 75G tank and then there's no sure thing on if they'd be aggressive towards each other. I would do just 2 in a well planted 50 or 55G Tank. No other fish. Keep in mind Lionfish have to be handle with caution.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Biggest Dwarf Lionfish i have seen is about 3 inches...In my opinion Lionfish are not very territorial as .long as they are given adequate room. I would say for a small group of Dwarfs you should have at least a 40 gallon...medium sized lions like radiatas or Antennas a 60-75 Gallon and The big Volitans and Russells at least a 100 gallon.

At the same time if you only want lion the size of the tank can be smaller or if it is a juvenile.