Lisa

Feb 2, 2009
Hi all!!! Im new to My Fish Tank.net and Im new to saltwater. I just set up a new 75gal. saltwater tank on 2-01-09. I went to the pet store to busy some live rock and a few other things I might need. I bought only one live rock, the person who helped me was very helpful in finding me a nice rock, one that has a little bit of coral growing on it. I checked everything in my tank to make sure the salt was ok and the ph, the ph was a little high not bad maybe 8.4, Im using a ocean sun 10,000k and Eheim filter for 80 gal. I also bought this thing called eco-aqualizer it is suppose to do lots of good things for my tank...so they say...it says you do not even have to use a skimmer on your tank, what do u think? this product hooks on the intake tube. I use the same test kit for my saltwater as I do my fresh water fish I use the high range ph should I use salt water test kit? I placed my live rock in the sand standing up on the sand is this ok to do that or how should I place the live rock? All information will be useful. Thanks

Feb 2, 2009
Hey thanks for the information that you gave me on how much live rock I should have in my tank. I wish someone could answer my questions or at least help someone starting out in saltwater fish. I have read that you do not lay the rock flat on the sand bed, why? I do not know if there is a test kit for salt water fish, do you know? What kind of fsh should I start out with, can you start with the clown fish if you wanted to? There is alot to learn in saltwater. I have been wanting to do a salt tank for a very long time now. I have in my home a 125 gal tropical tank, and I have a 55 gal cichlid tank also. I love my fish and I enjoy watching the tanks. I can kick back and watch my fish and foget the days troubles *twirlysmi I started out with a 10 gal tank over 10 years ago and Im just now learing about salt hummmmm not sure why I waited so long. Thanks again for your help maybe someone else can help me some other questions.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I don't think your suppose to lay the rock directly on the sand because if you have a goby or something that can disturb the sand, the rock could tip over, break glass, etc.... there is probably another reason but I heard that one before. You would have better luck posting this in the saltwater forum.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
We have a saltwater forum, right below the freshwater forums. It's where the salties mostly hang out. If you post your questions there, I'd say you'll get lots of very helpful responses.

Welcome to the tank! :)

Michaelh218

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2009
Elberta, Al
Most of everything I know about salt water I learned on these forums (and a few other). I can't answer all your questions but I'll give you what info I can.

In my opinion, you would be better off with a test kit specifically designed for salt water especially if keeping corals (would want to measure calcium).

Something else though, that neither you or anyone else has mentioned. Since you ask about fish, have you cycled your tank yet? What are your amonia lvls, nitrites, nitrates? You want to make sure that tank has cycled completely before adding fish, otherwise you are just flushing money down the drain. A good way to get a jump start on your cycle is to add deli shrimp. Leave it in for 3 days (preferably in a stocking so its easier to remove) then take it out (it will stink).

As for the protein skimmer. I'm not sure what product you are talking about, however almost every person I have listened to in regards to salt water (ie, the pros) all use protein skimmers. That product might get you by for a while, but you would want to upgrade eventually to a quality protein skimmer.

As far as a good first fish, I'm not real sure but I know a lot of folks have started with clownfish as you have suggested but some dart fish might be okay as well. I would visit some online shops as most of them will tell you if they are beginner fish or not. That might increase your odds of success. Also once you got a list, do a little more research just to back up what the online shop said. If that don't work, ask in the salt water forums :)

Hope I helped and if I mentioned anything incorrect someone please correct me.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
As stated please read the stickies, there is just too much information that you need to know and one thread will not cover it. Here goes:

1. Get a hydrometer/refractometer to measure sg. There are specific test kits for saltwater, you can not use the same ones that you use for freshwater. Right now concentrate on testing for ammonia, nitrite and when these reach zero you should be cycled, provided you used something to start the cycle like your live rock may work. You need an ammonia source.

2. You will need much more live rock, depending on your goal. What type of tank is your goal? A tank with just fish and some live rock can get away with a cannister filter with bio media as nitrates will not necessarily be an issue. If you are aiming for keeping corals you will need live rock and a protein skimmer to keep the nitrates to a minimum. Either way regular water changes are important to maintain these levels at manageable levels.

3. Get quality equipment from the start it will save you money over the long term as you won't be constantly needing to upgrade. You should invest in a protein skimmer, once you decide come here and we will give you our objective opinion on many makes and models, we have all owned one or another over the years and know the best bang for your buck.

4. If housing corals you will need to upgrade your lighting to intense lighting most corals need such as metal halide or t5 lighting. This is the second most costly investment after live rock......

5. Let your tank cycle. Do not rush this process as your tank needs the time to settle down and let the water parameters settle. Please research all of your additions and make sure you know their requirements their compatability and their health BEFORE you buy.

6. Make sure your rock is setting on the bottom glass. The sand in a saltwater tank is constantly moving as snails and other fish etc are moving it along with power heads. If the sand moves beneath the rock you will undoubtedly suffer what could be a catastrophic rock fall.....

7. You haven't mentioned powerheads. Water movement is imperative to provide surface movement to promote oxygen exchange. Most saltwater fish live on the reef where water movement is turbulent and violent. They need and want this to remain healthy. Most corals also require this water movement to bring food to them as they can't chase it down and capture it.

enough for now, let someone else weigh in.... good luck and we are here to help......