list needed

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Item number 1 - New Marine Aquarium by Mike Paletta. Read it, and you'll have the answers yourself. How big, how much money do you have.

Which lfs's do you go to? I would imagine someone like Maidenhead would carry this book, else get it from amazon for 12 quid. Go look at some lfs's and ask what they recommend

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
I didn't post a stupid answer - what are you oging to keep in the tank, how big? How much maintenance are you prerpared to do manually.
List 1 - 20 gallon tank, 20 pounds live rock, hood with lights, oolitic to sand to give 1 inch cover, bucket instant ocean, test kits, hydrometer, heater stat, power head, fluval 4.
List 2 - 100 gallon tank, salt mix, oolitic sand for 4 inch bed, 100 lbs live rock, RO machine, protein skimmer, powerheads, 2 * 250 metal halides,heater/stats calcium reactor.
The first is a super basic desktop, the second a reef. What do you want to do? There are a lot of variations

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
OK. If moneys not a problem, but you don't know what you want you can cheat and buy an aquamedic Percula 90 for 1000 quid which is pretty complete. You sometimes see them scondhand.
Or you could go 1/2 way with a FOWLR tank - fish, live rock, easy inverts, and use this as a learning experience.
Tank
Sand
T5 lighting to match in luminaire (fancy hood)
Substrate (my preference is oolitic sand)
Salt mix
Water - don't laugh, hows the water in Basingstoke - you may well need an RO, I did when I lived in Wimbledon (downstream)
Live rock - try 1.5 lbs per gallon
Skimmer -
Power heads, fluval 4 for when you need to get in carbon or polyfilter
Heater/stat
10 Gallon starter, cheap as you can get it for quarantine
Test kits + hydrometer.

And that will cost you about a 1000 as well I'd imagine. As ever, last year Phil Hunt did a series for Practical Fishkeeping, get reprints of that (all 4 parts) - explains it very well