Little flies in filter :confused:

ZonaGirl

Small Fish
Jun 2, 2004
Tucson
Visit site
HI everybody,
I have a 45 gal tank that I'm fishless cycling right now. I just opened the cover on the HOB filter, and a bunch of tiny flies flew out of the filter. They're about the size of fruit flies.

What are these guys? How do I make them go away? They're kindof gross.

Thanks!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I guess they're breeding inside the filter. Maybe leave the lid off the filter for a few days and hope that keeps them away. I'm assuming they like the moist air inside the filter.

Be warned that insecticides (like fly spray) is dangerous for fish, even if you're still fishless cycling and it gets in the water it could cause problems later.

ZonaGirl

Small Fish
Jun 2, 2004
Tucson
Visit site
I don't use insecticides, period. I'm a chemical engineer, and I've been exposed to enough harmful chemicals at work w/out bringing them into my home. So no worries there :)

I took the lid off the filter, and the flies appear to have all left. Very strange - I wonder where the little guys came from?? Moreover, where did they go?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Now you know the reason why they believed in spontaneous generation in the Middle Ages :p

As far as I know, fruit flies just want somewhere warm and damp to lay their eggs. I guess your filter seemed like a good place to lay them.

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have the same situation, i open the lid to my tank for a feeding and these tiny flies come flying out, or same with the filter when i do water changes and have to fill it back up, more tiny flies, it drives me crazy, and I want to get rid of them, but yeah pesticides would be bad, so im not sure what to do, i HATE BUGS!

Etheostoma

Large Fish
Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
Likely not fruit flies (Drisophilla). More likely midge, fungus gnat, white fly, or bot fly (in that order). They probably followed you in through the door with a bag of groceries.

If you're opposed to copper sulfate (aquarisol) then usually adding kosher salt to your water will take care of it. 1tsp (5g, do not overdose) per 10 net gallons should do the trick, or, you can raise the temp to 85f for a few (four or so) days like you would for ich and see what you get.