little green dots on the glass

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
So I have these little green dots on the glass of my tank. Very hard to get rid of. I have seen a couple places saying to just scrape it off with a razor blade. (I have a glass tank)

Can I do this with all the water in it? Or should I wait until I clean the tank next time.

Thanks *SUPERSMIL

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Those are spots of algae. :eek:
As far as I'm aware, you can razor-blade 'em with water in the tank. Have you tried scrubbing them with one of those pads you find on tank cleaning brushes? I found that they come off (though not very easily) if you take the pad off and use it to scrub the tank. :)

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
Another good tool to use is a credit card (probably best to use an old one :)) Thats what I use and it gets the job done.

Its green spot algae. You can learn about it on this site. Its considered normal for planted tanks. I searched it on google and only found one website that had a cause on it. It said excess lights and excess nutrients. That's probably true for alot of algaes though. I've been told before that spot algae is a sign of a healthy tank.

Make sure your tank doesn't get any direct sunlight...that will cause some types of algae.

I would just try to scrape it off with a razor blade or credit card with every water change. That will keep it down to a more manageable level.