Little white things

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
As I was doing a water change for my 29g saltwater tank I started to notice white specs on the glass, as I looked closer I found that they were tiny white shells, I think. The shells look like a rolled up worm, and white. Anyone know what these are? Thanks.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
If they are a tightly coiled shape that doesn't move, then they are a small type of featherduster. The crowns are a nice red (when they get large enough to really see), and they are a sign of good water quality. Usually when they first appear, you will see tons of them, then gradually they will reduce their numbers based on the amount of food available as they are growing. Scrape off the ones on your front glass and don't worry about the rest. :) These critters are very, very tough! I have some growing on a powerhead, and when I remove the powerhead to clean I'm dunking it under water from the tap, and scrubbing parts with a toothbrush, and these little dusters still manage to survive! Don't worry about them growing too big either, the largest one I have is maybe the size of a pencil eraser.......

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
Great! I'm glad my water is doing well, those things are all over all of the sudden, I just added phytoplankten 2 days ago, but they were there before I added it. Is phytoplankten supposed to have a smell to it?

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
Ok, on the bottle it said that it shouldn't be used if it had a bad odor, it is the kind that you keep in the fridge. Thanks for the help, those little things do look like feather dusters now that you mention it, I can see the feathers on some of them.

zimmerlyct

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Northern VA
Man, I swear that you guys are having calcium deposits on your tank. It happens all the time. Calcium can grow in just about any shape and size.

Do you have a protien skimmer on the tank. If you answer no, then I'd bet the house that they are calcium doposits.