Little White Worms?

Dec 8, 2005
Harrison Twp. Michigan
I just came home from a weekend vacation and cleaned out my 20g and within a few hours after cleaning it, I found all these little white worm-looking creatures climbing up the side of the aquarium. Does anyone know what they are? And are they harmful? How do I get rid of them? Bc they're kinda disgusting looking.

Attachments

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
They look like planaria to me. They appear in tanks where there is extra food just sitting around. They're a real pain to get rid of. To get rid of them, obviously make sure all extra food is out of the tank. Put a lid in the bottom of the tank with an algae wafer or something yummy on it, leave it for a few hours, then take it out and dump it. The planaria will be on the lid with the food. Do this several times and do lots of gravel vacuuming.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
A bottom-feeder or snail won't help. Only having a clean tank will help.

Avoid overfeeding -- once a day, or even every other day, is sufficient, only what your fish can eat in a couple of minutes. Vacuum your gravel with every water change, which should be 25% or more weekly.

damian09

Large Fish
Mar 31, 2009
well it has worked a bit today i looked and the worms have mostly dissapered just a few left i used anti internal bacteria and turned up temp to just under tops on the thermostat will update tomoz