LIVE LARVA!

utman66

Small Fish
May 13, 2004
Houston, TX
Visit site
I'm preparing to breed my two bettas soon so i'm gonna try feeding the female live mesquito larvae. The problem is i have no idea how to do that. Should i just put a bucket of water outside untill some larvae arrive? I know that will get some... but is it safe? I don't want to spread any diseases to my betta. I'm not to worried about catching the larvae...i live in houston so i guess i'm blessed with a lot of mesquitos!!!.

ANy help would be great!!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I net mosquito larvae out of my parent's ponds from time to time. The betta LOVES them!! I wouldn't worry about diseases and spreading them to your fish...but i'm not sure how to "farm" them w/o allowing them to actually turn into mosquitos.

I would net them...then put them in freshly dechlorinated water...to kinda rinse them off...then net them again to feed to the fish. My guppies adored them too.

utman66

Small Fish
May 13, 2004
Houston, TX
Visit site
thanks a lot. Yeah i don't really plan on farming them. I have a bird bath that has tons of them in there. So once they have the grub do you think they will have go back to pellet food. I know feeding them larvae all the time could get annoying.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
yeah...just make sure you dont feed them live food ALL the time without pellets. Bettas can get picky But they love the occasional treat! I would feed like 2 pellets...and then give him a larvae or two :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
No...more saying that if you always give it live food that it's going to get spoiled and refuse to take pellet or processed foods...so you need to give it a well rounded diet. Some pellets, some worms, some larvae...whatever. Mine gets primarily betta pellets...and then sometimes a guppy fry or a bug or some larvae that I find.