LIVE ROCK ALGAE

BlackGhost

Large Fish
May 14, 2006
Palatine,IL
I bought fully cured live rock that has purple algea all over it and now its starting to grow green algea on the rock too and a little of the purple is getting white and fading

Anyone know anything?

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
um whats the green algae look like, The purple coraline is probably from the lights being lower or higher then they were at the store so it's dying i think but it should grow back once your tanks been set up awhile
Hope that helps

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
No it is not dying back to base rock. Base rock is live rock that is dense and not very porous therefore people use it to base their aquascape on hence the name "base rock" it is cheaper than premium/decorator live rock which is usually branchy and very porous. It is still live rock but is going through one of the many changes you can expect when setting up your reef. The coraline will come back provided that the parameters are acceptable to it....ca around 400 and good light (not necessarily metal halide) coraline doesnt demand high light to flourish......good luck and keep us posted.

Oh as for the green algae, is it hard or is it soft? some coraline algae is green but frankly I believe you are just experiencing one of the many algae blooms you can expect in the first year

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
same here when i got my first load of live rock it went from a 500g tub with a no light and when i put it in my tank it turned white and then back to purple pink and red but i have to go with Lorna the green algae is probably just a algae bloom