Live Rock (Best place to get it)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
We had our LFS order us a couple of boxes of uncured rock. They gave us a pretty good price on it.

If you're doing a smaller tank, it would probably be better to get it from the store, and pick the pieces you want.

If you get it cured from the store, you'll have an almost instant cycle.

This might help you narrow down choices on stores, although it may be a little out of date: www.Hawkfish.org

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
if ur willing to take a drive (as i see ur in palatine), my lfs in algonquin has cured fiji live rock for $3.99 a pound. the staff there is really knowledgable. the owner knows all of his clients and their tanks. they have tons of coral and fish for less then the average store sells them. also, their display tank is huge and has a japanese dragon moray that is worth big money. (he said $2000 but ive seen them for $1000) its called exotic aquatics, its on randall road by the algonquin commons.

you could also check out beyond the reef or aquarium adventure, near woodfield mall. theyre both a little more expensive but extremely good quality stuff. beyond the reef has a crap load of corals and frags and live rock.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
i'm not sure if u know this, but i'll throw it out there. many stores reduce the price per pound if you go over a certain weight of rock, for example: aquarium adventure in arlington heights has some honestly good looking live rock for $9.99 a pound, but if you buy over 50 pounds, it's only $4.99 a pound. that's where i plan on buying my rock next week.