Live rock for FW

schoch79

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2006
Just a thought here but seeing as how Live rock works by the bacteria that grow on and in the live rock would it be feasible to get some porous rock and it have a similar affect on FW. What I'm thinking of is how the bacteria that grow deep inside the live rock for saltwater will be the denitrifying bacteria and consume the nitrates. Will this same idea work for freshwater tanks. If no, why not?

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
First off, here is a link to a neat website that shows you many things along with making your own live rocks... agrocrete..I would think it would work great for FW also *thumbsups

Geothermal Aquaculture Research Foundation Home Page

Second... Live rock doesn't really do a whole lot of denitrifying.
For pretty much everyone I have ever known with SW has had to deal with higher nitrates and all the problems associated with it, but never heard of anyone having problems with higher nitrates in FW.
For SW I highly recommend a refugium for nitrate removal/nutrient export.
For FW.... water changes...

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Interesting idea. I suppose I dont know why it wouldn't work. All of the bacteria needed would form on the rock just as it forms in our filters. Technically I suppose if you have an undergravel filter the gravel would be 'live rock' of sorts. Bacteria to support the nitrogen cycle colonizes on all porus surfaces in the tank and concentrates on places where the flow rate is highest.

There are definitely issues with nitrates in FW...but many of us don't really see them because we do the same thing that the salties do, we do water changes. Salties have learned that doing water changes or not having filtration like a canister filter will decrease the nitrate production or take as much as possible out...they've further figured out how to decrease nitrates using macroalgae, just like FW tanks can do with plants (many people with planted tanks actually dose nitrates instead of focusing on taking them out with water changes).

My main concern with only having a powerhead moving water past live rock for filtration would be the lack of surface agitation, (leading to lower oxygen levels) and possibly the mechanical filtration...since even SW tanks have skimmers, a FW tank would need something else to take out solid wastes.