Live rock growth

Aug 12, 2007
Hi, new here and to the hobby and learning more every day. I just bought 100 lbs of live rock from a local distributor (FL) and was extremely happy w/ the amount of life on it. I am curious though if there is somewhere I can look to identify the various lifeforms, I'm not sure if all of it is beneficial. I'm pretty sure one of the rocks has an Aiptasia anenome on it. Thought it was pretty cool until I started reading about them. I've also got what looks like sponges (1 yellow and a couple of orange) but I thought sponges die pretty quickly when out of water (about an hour drive home from the distributor.) Finally, I've got what looks like white / off-white honeycomb. Any idea what it is? Thanks. And yes I did cycle w/ the damsels...I know, but my kids couldn't wait for fish and the LFS did say he would buy them back from me when I'm ready for my other fish.

Attachments

Aug 12, 2007
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Figures, I'm in Tampa and didn't even see that site. It does mention that the Gulf Aiptasia is not harmful, guess I'll keep it until it looks like it will be a problem. Thanks again.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I would juice it......Joe's Juice. Oh, and sure your lfs will buy back the damsels, he says that as he knows fairly well that it will be almost impossible to remove them from your tank without tearing out all your rock and emptying half the tank to catch the little beggars. You can try and trap them....but they will be very difficult to remove.