Live Rock In My Fluval?

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
i was just at the pet store and they said to try putting LR in my fluval. Almost like a form of filter???? umm, she said just put small pieces in there and let it go/ what do you guys think..

oh and I bought two Rio 800's...( i know not before the skimmer, BUT, the skimmer is in about a week. 2 at the most) the bloody rio's a loud though..

what do ya think about the rock??

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
ok, that is what I thought. These freekin Rio's are so loud! or at least one is. one of them is fine, but the other one holy crap( I checked the properler and it was cool, does any one know how to make a rio quiter *PEACE!*

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
I dont know y but my water looks like garbage.. when I started up my power heads, there was a lot of stuff flooting around, I tryed to get as much as I could with the net.. but my water is looking wierd, any ideas?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
rio's are pieces of crap anyways, in my opinion, they are way too loud not power effiecient and the impellers tend to break. I would return them, get some good maxi-jets, they are good

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
Actully, I dont know if the fish is going to make it(my Yellow Angel) it's fin rot is getting worse, it has not been eating, and it is very skinny looking. It does not look healthy at all. even if I get a QT set up, do you think it can make it, it's not even eating?? thank you guys..

can I QT in a 5 gal. bucket? a little piece of live rock and a small power head?? But I dont know if it will work because of my second heater i have. It is like a ten $ one so it doesn't even have a temp control. it doesnt work to keep a temp(like 80, for a QT)

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
worth a shot...i don't know anything about the product but if it is reef safe and for fin rot i suppose it will be ok. the thing which always concerns me about so called "reef safe" antibiotics is that they kill bacteria which is what provides the biological filtration

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
huh, well if my tank fails horibly because one little yellow angel then I will just...oh I dont know, I was going to qt in a 5 gallin bucket. but i decided not tro. lol, going to set yup a qt tank in the futer thiough. but I think this fish may, die he is not even eating and looks very thin... what do you think kevin

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
its not a good sign...if the infection clears up he will probably resume eating and be fine, but he may die before the infection is healed. definitely in the future a QT would be good, but i wouldn't worry about that until you get your equipment all squared away since youve already medicated the tank. once you have your equipment, then set up the QT, then it will be time to add a new fish

its not so much the angel that would be causing the tank to fail as it would be the medication killing the live rock

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
What's going on with this damn angel - it doesn't sound too good for ir. You know full well they're fussy about water conditions, but you have horrible water quality and pathetic circulation. That's why it won't eat, I doubt they mysis is too bad. You know these things have lived 15 years in a decent aquarium, so they're pretty tough once they're going.
Honestly, all these posts asking much the same things from the same people are quite annoying. You know what you have to do, so get on with it. I would not put that med in my tank no matter what's going on FWIW.