Live rock prices

levia7han

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2003
Nebraska
Visit site
Hi guys im being lazy. I was wondering if someone could quoat me a price on 30lbs of live rock. I can get it around here for 250-300. Which is ALOT.

Im not looking to buy yet. But I would like to know how much to save up..... Maybe I should just buy like 25 lbs of lace rock form the quarry and 5lbs of live rock. Then just let it grow.

How long do you think it would take to cover enough to place fish in.

The way I figure it, if I can keep the rock alive and the tank stable for that long I should be able to handle SW pretty well.

Looking at a 29gallon BTW

Thanks
Lev

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I would say your best bet is to join a reef club somewhere in your state and do the drive to a store that gives them a discount, it will save you alot of money on LR usually 2$/lb, and that way you only have to wait a month for your tank to be set
Brahm

GRaff71884

Medium Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Saint Louis
Visit site
$250-$300 is insane!! I also have a 29g, and I have 45lbs. of live rock in mine. I got my rock through liveaquaria.com, and it is awesome quality. My rock was cured, but like any rock, you have to cure it again, but it took like 2 days after it was in to get my ammonia and nitrites to 0. My rock now has awesome color and all kinds of different things on it. Through liveaquaria.com, 45lbs. of Fiji premium shipped 2nd day air is $183.54. That is still expensive, but doesnt hit $300 or the price lfs sell it for. Here in Saint Louis I have seen it for as much as $7 a lb.!!! I got my rock from liveaquaria too, but it was on sale when I got it. I don't know if they do sales often, but if you see they do, you can get the same rock shipped for like $150 like I did. Good luck!!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Depends where you live and what you want. Do you know how, or want to cure/recure yourself. Are you happy to mail order, and do you trust the source. 29 gallons isn't very big, so if they sent you a box of small pieces of dead base, you don't have much room to add good stuff. However, Graff seems to have got it right with his order.
If you live in california then yes, it's possible to pay 2$, but it's not likely if you live somewhere else
What's the rock like at the lfs, and how far away is it? Do they do a discount if you buy a lot, or if they get you a box? How much over the 'cheapest' are you prepared to pay if you suddenly saw a bunch that looked really good?
If you're poor, you can look at spaghetti rock plus a small amount, but you might need to wait a while for a good tank - read months to years.

levia7han

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2003
Nebraska
Visit site
thanks guys. I will have to look a little online and see what I come up with. 150-200 shipped is nice. But like I said im not in a big hurry yet.

I live in the worst place to get live rock.... about as far away from it as you can get. Nebraska... I will have to ask my LFS if they discount on large amounts. I know they do on smaller stuff. Like 1-5 lbs its $10 a pound. And 5-10 its like $8. But there is nothing said about 30+... It would be nice to get it from them because I can pick and choose. And its usually pretty good. But I have never asked where they get it from.

I know in omaha there is a reef club but I live in Lincoln. So I would like to find one here. But I guess I can travel if I have to. But I dont think they are too active.... I know we have interest, But it just seems like here in the midwest we never get orginized.

Ill have to do a little more leg work on this one i guess.

Thanks again
Lev

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
the omaha one might be a good idea i live in western mass on the NY/mass border and i belong to a boston reef club and boston is still like 3 1/2 hours away but well worth in if your buying a good amount of stuff
u usually save 10-15% on livestock and dry goods and i get 2$ off per pound for live rock which gets it down to around 3.75$/lb so it is well worth it to me anyways
brahm

levia7han

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2003
Nebraska
Visit site
allright! Cool guys. Thats the prices I was looking at. I may end up with a bigger tank if I can get deals like that. And hopefully I can end up getting some cheap at the omaha club too. Im going to send a e-mail to the presadent of the club sometime later today and get some more info from them.

Lev

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I wouldn't rely on getting rock cheap from a club unless someones breaking a tank down. On the upside, if you want to get a litre of live substrate from someones tank it's a good place to get that

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
You can get 30lbs of uncured live rock for about 90-100 dollars. Cured will cost a little bit more. For more info go to www.liveaquaria.com or marinedepotlive.com

Sam Reef
20 Gallon freshwater planted aquarium