Live Rock Question

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Ahh in your other thread...... if you aren't running a skimmer on your tank aim for 2lbs per ......

people use zip ties or even stack it on racks made of pvc....most rock will fit together, you will need to experiment to get good aquascape going. Fish like caves and swim through areas.....be creative....

Live rock can be one of the biggest expenses but worth the price if you get the right rock.

I have 125 lbs in a 75g that I hand picked at Premium Aquatics in Indy...definitely worth the road trip..

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You want to cycle with all the rock, because if you add some here and there you get mini-cycles (especially if the rock is shipped or uncured).

You also want to start with the rock on the bottom of the tank, and then add the sand around it, rather than stacking it on top of sand.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
exactly and you want to ensure that the rockwork doesn't impede the water flow too much......that you maintain good flow in a random not circular motion. You don't want to create a huge whirlpool.

BlackGhost

Large Fish
May 14, 2006
Palatine,IL
I have a really good skimmer that is good up to 100 gallons and cost me $75 its the Sea clone. I will be going out today to get my live rock and need to know if I add all the live sand I have?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Add as much sand as you want, you shouldn't go too deep unless you're going to have critters to stir it or you want to stir it every so often. You don't really need more than an inch or two unless you specifically want a deep sand bed for one of the future inhabitants.

Did you open the sea clone yet? Because if you didn't, then I would return it because I have never heard anything good about those skimmers. For $75-$100, you could at least get a Prizm, they are a compromise between the sea clone (or no skimmer) and one of the really nice pricy ones.

BlackGhost

Large Fish
May 14, 2006
Palatine,IL
Ok I just went and bought my live rock today from Beyond the Reef. Their Live rock is awsome for the price. Is is fully cured in tanks with corals so you know its good. And the pieces are filled with little life forms and covered in purple algae.

BlackGhost

Large Fish
May 14, 2006
Palatine,IL
Ok I just went and bought my live rock today from Beyond the Reef. Their Live rock is awsome for the price. Is is fully cured in tanks with corals so you know its good. And the pieces are filled with little life forms and covered in purple algae.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I agree with capslock on the skimmer take it back and get either a cpr bakpak 2, the seaclones tend to be garbage....need much tinkering and modifications to perform even half decently. Look at the sticky here on skimmers....they have some links to good reviews on skimmers.

as for sand....personally I believe in a deep sand bed as it will assist in denitrification and a good 3-4 inches of sand along with a cleanup crew later to stir up the top layer such as nassarius snails or even sand sifting goby or other sand stirrers.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
NO, keep it in the box and return it. Both it and the prism are rubbish, and a complete waste time and effort. A skimmer is an important investment so get a good one upfront

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
As stated that skimmer is crap. Take it back and get a good one. There are more opinions on skimmers and most are on the money......For a 46g tank either an Aqua Remora (pricey but one of the best hobs) or even a CPR Bak Pak 2 the one without the biobale.....these are my personal favourites.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I don't want to come across as rude, but if you haven't researched everything before you set up, you should at least be researching one step ahead of where you are. For example, researching what to do with the rock before you buy it, not after. I'm hoping you've rinsed it off or scrubbed it in a bucket outside the tank.

I'm not sure if you're asking about aesthetics of the aquascape or practicalities (such as where to use what size of rock, how to stack, etc.).

BlackGhost

Large Fish
May 14, 2006
Palatine,IL
Yes I rinsed and scrubed it and just to tell you the store cleaned it for me and it is fully cured live rock that has been with coral and is covered in all purple algae. I just did the aquascaping and it turned out great. Should I add the live sand now aroung the rock like the store told me?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
yes....and what did you do about the skimmer? You really should take the advice given on this subject, we are only trying to save you headaches and wasted money down the road......from here on in you want to take it very very slowly.

Lotus for instance has set up her 125 in November and has yet to add anything other than a few cleanup critters.......remember nothing good happens fast